Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > New product ideas

Heres a new product idea and Id like feedback and thoughts.
using our 3d printer we can easily create little people in any scale and any pose. I want to make an initial test of 4 figures. the question to you is:
What are those figures to be?
What is needed thats not available?
what do you think? go for it.
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterThom
Thom, I would dearly love to have a lumberjack in a position to lean against a tree while seated, smelling a flower. I have reserved a spot on my layout and have yet to figure a way to get the figure. HO scale. . . .
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMwbailey
Lumber jacks, miners, dock workers et all HO scale.
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Thom,
I agree about work men in all kinds of trades in 'Natural" poses. I have needs for O scale (1:48) sawmill workers and general tradesmen that might be found in a small town near a sawmill.

Thanks,
Bob
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBob Strom
I'm in O Scale... Wants:

Businessmen walking, chatting

Family window shopping

Couples walking

People in Diner

Waitress in diner

Man unlocking car

Man carrying packages (shopping)

In general I seek people in an urban streetscape...
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJan W
Hi,

Here is an idea, finish some of the card stock models you have been working on, for years.
September 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell
These are all really good ideas. keep them coming. What I have in mind is a collection of figures that will be any scale and customs possible. they wont be cheep but each will be one of a kind.

Bill, is there something specific your looking for? I am doing exactly what you suggest. What model?
September 30, 2014 | Registered CommenterDave
Thom,

I think that Bill has a good point. Over the years you have mentioned and shown preliminary drawings of some interesting models, but alas, the work seems to be forgotten. At one time there was indications of a single stall engine house and a small turntable. It would be nice if those models were available. Also I would love to see a small town fire house.

As to the figures, tough road to go down. The competition would be terrific. There are already many, many vendors on the net net selling all kinds of figures in all scales. Please proceed with caution.

However it would seem that if you can produce figures you most likely could produce windows and doors that would complement your card stock models.

John
October 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
What about making detail parts for your paper kits Like windows-doors roof top and interior details This would not only give you a ready market for your 3D work but also promote sales to those who dont want to cut and fold all those little parts If you offered an options package I think it would be a big pluss in selling your other products
October 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
Since you asked...I've been waiting for years for somebody to make HO scale navy personal...that having been said, doors, windows, and details to complement your structures do seem like the most logical cost. I'd be curious to see how something like that would pan out.
October 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commentercnwnorthline
sorry about that. It should say "Most logical CHOICE"
October 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commentercnwnorthline
I agree with the others who have suggested 3-D detail options for your buildings as a best use of 3-D printing. Windows, doors, chimneys, roof vents, electrical boxes, air conditioners, etc. specifically designed to fit would be complimentary to the buildings. Figures are already a crowded field.
October 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Might be an idea to tweak the window / door sizes where needed to accept Tichy castings since they are already out there. maybe even get Don to toss a few shekels your way for doing it & increasing his business. Seems injection molding would be a lot cheaper than 3D printing windows & doors.
As far as figures are concerned, I would like some transition era watermen like maybe a captain & crew for a lobster of fishing boat. You must have a good printer to do HO or N gauge figures. I know most leave ridges on the Z axis & since I like to give them a wash it may collect in those ridges.
October 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Hey Thom:

At one point there was a company offering to make custom figures from photos. They disappeared... This is an opportunity to add family, friends to the layout. Price might not be so important for such a cool thing...
October 13, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJan W
Jan, It's a distinct possibility. I'm going to experiment with a set of poseable 1849 period figures. If it works and we can set a fair price, why not do it. have a friend who I have worked with for years who will be doing most of the 3d sculpting. So when we get prototypes made we will evaluate the time and results and make a decision on how or if to go forward.
October 13, 2014 | Registered CommenterDave