Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > The Bunk House Chimney

The photo on your website shows a pipe chimney protruding from the side of the building ( O scale? ). The HO version shows a smal brick structure with a short chimney pipe. How is that assembly put together and where is it attached to the Bunk House structure?
November 7, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDon Kluge
The photo on the 'Get Models' page shows a North American style heating pipe. Prior to about 1960 such a pipe would extend vertically from the stove and either go straight up through the roof OR, as shown in the Get Models photo, turn and go out the wall, then turn again to rise above the roof. Typically the pipe would have a metal plate holding it away from the timber as it goes through the wall or the roof. It would also likely have a stand-off bracket/brace to hold it straight and keep it from touching the edge of the roof. After about 1960 all such pipes would likely be insulated with patent holding devices.

Best advice for a North American model, follow good practice for Colorado of the appropriate era. For an Australian model the kitchen stove would likely have gone straight up through the roof. Alternately, the stove would have been in a separate structure or in an extension out the back of the building. The Narrow Gauge Down Under articles describing the construction of the model which inspired the Bunk House have photos of several variations for Australian practice. I'll try and get a link for a later post.

Happy modelling, Lynn
November 10, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer
As promised, here's a photo of a typical kitchen/stove extension on the back of a Queensland-type cottage. Note the extension is corrugated iron, thus some protection from fire.
http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/lz/lz_caboolture2011/lz_7796w.jpg

Other photos can likely be found using cottage as the search term in the rail heritage image collection at
http://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig

As for a brick chimney... the chimney requires a proper base, either rock or concrete footing, and is set against the building with a roof cut out as the chimney reaches the eave.

Happy modelling,
Lynn
November 10, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLynn Zelmer
Hello Don
Well, first I'd like to apologize for misleading you with the renderings of the Bunkhouse. We published them long before the kit was finished and sometimes as kit development goes on, things change. The rendering showing the tall stove-pipe didn't reflect what we had in mind when we "Americanized" what is essentially an Australian styled building. We added the more American styled chimney and never went back to update the rendering. If you go to the blog page, I will post a picture of what that chimney should look like. As far as locating it on the roof, just about anywhere the roof slope matches the chimney base is appropriate. In real life that chimney would extend all the way to the ground with a furnace or stove pipe entering it from the side near ground level.
Dave Miecznikowski
Clever Models LLC
November 10, 2014 | Registered CommenterDave
A chimney (without a fireplace) was definitely an option for houses in Florida, serving a space heater in the places where I lived in the 1960s. I just finished a model of a Florida cracker-style house with such a chimney: http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/Donald_Albury/20141112_101613_zps2acd80e7.jpg

The chimney and the piers the house is sitting on are the HO scale old brick-A texture wrapped around a basswood stick. The siding on the house is HO scale clapboard tan, and the window shades are from the HO scale residential windows / operable sheet. The rest of the model is plastic and wood.

Donald Albury
November 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
The following photo (all I have of the house I modeled) shows more details, such as the flare at the bottom of the chimney, and the rain excluder, which I still working on how to model. http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/Donald_Albury/alachuahousephoto_zps8daaaf38.jpg

Donald Albury
November 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury