Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > YouTube Tutorial: Cricut Cutter & Clever Models

This came over the transom today via Edward Traxler on G+. The video doesn't show the results, which I'm very curious about, but it does show the setup needed to use a Cricut craft cutter on a Clever Models design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxybLptnlvU

I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these gadgets yet because I'd imagine precise alignment is a bear, and also because I'm an Ubuntu guy. But I can see the handwriting on the wall -- I'll need something like this if I want to work more quickly. For one-off projects, it's probably still quicker to use the X-Acto and straightedge, but if I were making multiples... say, five or six section houses...

I'm very conscious of the time-spent/time-saved ratio -- I have this printed out and affixed to the bulletin board in my workspace:

https://xkcd.com/1205/

I could see printing a full texture sheet and then cutting out the pieces needed with a Cricut, which could circumvent any alignment problems. Hmm.
January 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDan H
I just got a Zing and it has a print and cut option all I need it an ai or dfx or any CAD file and I'm good to go.
January 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterBill Hodkinson
OK OK seems like a lot of work just to resize something. Anyway.. I got lost on the second turn:)
January 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
The video is really an excercise in how to get something to come out a specific size when transferring it thru Cricut's Design Space app. I used the Clever Model - A) because I like the building, and B) because of the challenge to get it to work and C) because eventually I want to use these techniques to make my own buildings.
I did learn a LOT - as this was the first paper model I had ever built. I especially learned things that I would do differently for the next build. These are pretty cool machines. If the technology proves itself for this type of application, I would like to see manufacturers like Clever Models selling 'projects' on the Cricut site. Think of all the Matchbox garages and Barbie furniture that is just a click and download away. What a great way to introduce young folks to modeling!
Toni Ryan
January 11, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterToni Ryan
this is something ive watched for a long time but havent been able to mass enough information about. this is one more piece of positive info. there was a short time where we were an approved knk dealer but persistant questions about tollerances and blade life kept us from taking the final leap. should have done it.
January 11, 2015 | Registered CommenterDave
One of the problems with using the Cricut (or any other cutter) is getting your cut path to register with the material. (say - brick sheet) You would want to make sure that the courses of bricks line up when the corners of the building are put together, especially if you cannot cut the entire building or wall out of one sheet.
February 1, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterToni Ryan