Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Water mill

Any idea when the Water Mill will be available?
January 5, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Charlesworth
Hello David
I really don't know what to say. The truth be told, probably never. It has become painfully obvious that as loyal as our customers are, no one wants to pay more that $9.95 for any of our kits. We really learned this on the firehouse. We had a special sale where you could buy the firehouse for $9.00. We still only sold only about 30. When the sale was over and the price went to where it should be, $19.95, we sold 1. So the happy medium is obviously somewhere in between. But even $19.95 can't come close to justifying the investment in time needed to develop a kit like this. There is just not enough market out the to justify finishing the mill. Even if I were to sell it at $9.95 and sell 50, that's still only $500.00. I love supporting the hobby of model railroading, but I think what you will see from us going forward is a greater quantity of less ambitious kits. The Mill might still be produced, because it is basically done, but I can't say when that might be.
January 5, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave

OK I understand. Its just that would be suitable for the UK
January 6, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Charlesworth
Just curious, in light of the comment above. I'm one of those individuals who don't pay alot for kits. I now have 10 of your discs, and acquired some of the collections online (Jacksons and second textures set) I find I use the textures most of all and don't actually build the models. I acquired the firehouse (at the reduced price) along with the engine house and overhead crane and to date have used parts cut from the firehouse to modify a Walthers kit for the club layout where I am a member; along with your textures to detail the interior The White Castle grill is now serving duty in the kitchen and bookshelves from Kirk's books line the walls in the rec room. So to my query, perhaps parts of some of these kits could be released as detail parts rather than complete structures ie the water wheel from the mill. From recent posts in the blog I would expect that if the mill were released it would soon show up with a rustic stone walls or weathered wood siding and other modifications (kitbashed) and really what we are using is the basic plan and elevations with the specific detail parts to come up with our own versions. Would it be worthwhile to sell plan packages of wall and roof outlines rather then fully detailed kits?
January 6, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterWeston
Well Weston, I appreciate your input. You are one of those special individuals that see our kits not only for what they are, but for what they can be. We have always tried to drive our customers toward the creative side of paper modeling. You and quite a few others, really get it. Unfortunately, our research shows that most do not share your vision. They want kits where they can just follow the instructions and end up with the same building as everyone else. This is very disappointing, but shows why the fully detailed, painted, lighted plastic, imported stuff sells so well. I would just once, like to have a kit that sells as well as something from Menard's or Woodland Scenics. Oh well, I know that's never going to happen so I guess I just better be getting on with what we do and that is making paper kits that are really, really good and the heck with everybody else. So, having stepped back down from my soapbox, thank you all for putting up with my rants, I will renew my efforts to get the mill into production. I currently have a few kits in process, so it won't be immediate, but I will try to have it ready to release at the O scale March Meet in Chicago, the 18th. & 19th. of March.
January 6, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Sorry everyone. I had the date wrong for the March Meet. It is correct now. You can get information about the show at <www.marchmeet.net>.
January 7, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave
Just an update on the mill. I have started to build it and it is coming along nicely. There is a lot to do, but it is not difficult. Lots of windows.
The mill building proper is a fine kit all by itself and probably is useful as many other types of building, so we will probably make it available alone at a reasonable price. ($9.95? maybe) With the water wheel and flume as an additional kit, priced separately. We'll see. Time to get back to building.
January 23, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave
That would be great!
January 24, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDavid Charlesworth
I have made a number of posts here but none have appeared.

So here is another attempt!

Firstly - the idea of splitting the kit in two - a good idea perhaps (given the apparent price sensitivity), to sell the two parts (building and water wheel and race) separately. Give a small discount if they are purchased together maybe.

In the mill wheel kit also include a couple of additional accessories - mill stones, barrels? Sacks? Crates? Bucket? This may them make just this kit sell sometimes on its own, as opposed to any accessory for the mill building.

If you would like me to do a test build, I am willing. I will also pay you for the kit!
January 31, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterKevin Wilson-Smith
I want to add some thoughts about price and production costs This relates directly to kts like the Woods mill. As my brother points out $9.95 seems to be the price most are willing to pay. can you imagine such a ceiling on a wood kit? what can you get for $10 bucks. It's clearly obvious where the difference lies .You can hold a wood kit in your hands, it comes in a box.
Our kits live in your mind, at first. they're no less real AND i'm going to say flat out , They are every bit as hard to design and bring to market as any other kits . The mill is currently 26 pages (it will be a few more ) consider that each page is not less than 4hr work .Going rate for a commercial artist is $40hr. 26X4X40 or104hrsX40 OR...$1160.00 Cost, add a similar amount for test building. Obviously selling 20 or so kits isnt going to be worthwile. Based on 50 kits sold the price should be something around $50
February 3, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave