Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > A little more help

Howdy Folks, I've been having fun working with my Bricks & Mortar CD but I'd like some help from everybody. I've read Ben's Crossing Tower instructions and I'm in the process of building that model again using his recommendations. I would ask that someone post another step-by-step tutorial using another building from the B&M CD. As someone fairly new to the hobby I learn a lot just by reading and seeing what other folks do in building their models and that helps us beginners (ok, me) learn to have more fun.
July 22, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
I'll see what we can do Steven but if you have specific questions go ahead and ask.
July 23, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
Hello Dave,

I guess my questions would be on the general info side, I guess I've been so used to plastic models that have the step by step instructions included in the model that I feel a little lost. Since most of my projects so far don't start out with a picture of the completed model I'm left trying to figure out what some of the parts are and where they fit in. Using the Crossing Tower as an example without a picture I wouldn't know how the wooden stairs go together without guessing. I'm not complaining but being new to this type of modeling it would be helpful to have more instruction of the models.
July 23, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
One technique that I have used before is to build a 'dry run' of the model. Cover stock is pretty inexpensive at the office supply stores, and in a few minutes you can be cutting and folding actual pieces in order to figure out how you plan to build something. In this case, I would not cut out every indvidual railing, step, etc., but rather just enough to be able to fold up a structure and double check its assembly.

If you print on plain copy paper, it is thin enough that it cuts quick and easy, folds easy, and allows you to get a feel for the assembly without spending much time.

Also, feel free to email with any questions. I am happy to answer them (with a picture if necessary!)

-Ben
July 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterBen
Thanks Ben, any and all help is appriciated. I will definitely use the plain paper suggestion, I am modeling in HO for my layout but I'm trying to build in O scale just so the parts are big enough for my hands to deal with in the pre-construction phase. I'm also planning for my Christmas layout so I'm sure to be building for it as well. I also have the HO Bricks & Mortar CD, is is possible to up size the printing to reach O scale? or do you have another suggestion other than to buying both O scale and HO scale disks?

One other question to everyone, I currently have the Bricks & Mortar CD but I'm interested in another disk but not sure which one to get, any suggestions? Just so you'll know my current layouts are the late 1950's small town in mid-america. I grew up in Ramona, Oklahoma pop. 500 but in its hay-day of the 40's and 50's it grew up to be nearly 10,000 but today is back around 700. The Main street was 2 blocks long then went to residentual. It was fun back then, the old Rexall drugstore, Farmers & Merchants Bank, and Lumberyard, and Post Office, you get the idea. I'm not opposed to buying individual models as well but I'm really looking for ideas, I really enjoy the Clever Models and my hope is to only use their kits, its fun
July 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven, i think you would enjoy the wood industrial disk. lots of flavor from the early part of the 20th century. we do have some new kits thatwill be available as single kits that will fit your time period as well.
dollar for dollar the disks are a better deal but some of the newer kits might not be on disk for a long time.
July 25, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
I also like the wood industrial disk, and I highly recommend the shotgun houses. As far as help with building without the instruction I recommend you score all your parts your working on first then do all the layering for the model, windows doors etc. accept the trim. Then cut out all the walls and roof and fold them. Trial piece them together so that you can see how they go together and then glue the model together, and put on the trim. Adding the trim last allows you to cover up any seams that may not have fitted or glued together very well do to poor cutting or kit design. Try to get a picture of the model your building as reference. If there are no pictures for you to reference then use the roof and the supports for inside the model as a reference to what the layout of the building should look like, but I found that mounting the supports most of the time should be left until the end of the build because somethimes you need to get inside the model to push up the roof or push out a wall to make everything come together properly. Above all remember your working with cardboard and paper, as my father used to say when I was growing up and building models, don't let the materials kick your @$$ you should be able to make it do what you want. Good luck and above all have fun.
August 2, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJduv
A couple of upcoming kits that will work for you are a hobbyshop, a liquor store, a coal vender (brick), habbakers auto shop (brick) and McElders cycle shop. (wood)
I'm hoping to get them out soon. most are done but for small details.

Thom
August 2, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
Well guys, I learned something today.......... I know that you should always read the "read me" files before you start a new project, but getting my Bricks & Mortar CD a while back I never got around to reading the "read me" file. I've been busy outside my modeling hobby like most of you I'm sure and I consistantly was being frustrated by lack of skills, when I realized I've been booby-trapping myself! In the "read me" file it clearly says not to check the "stretch or fit into box" on your print options................. Oh well, learned a new one here!!!
August 2, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
I agree with Steven when it comes to instructions. Not only plastic kits but craftsman wood kits contain instructions on assembly, not the sequence of construction but what goes where. I have looked at many of the buildings on CD 1 and come away scratching my head. I am far from an expert model builder but have built many craftsman kits over the years and only wish Creative had the same sort on instruction sheets or at least a picture of the finished model.
September 20, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Murray
We are trying to catch up with the pictures thing. tell me what kit your working on and I'll see if i can send something.

Thom
September 21, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
Thom, by chance do you have any photos of the Akron Machine? the kit looks interesting but I need an idea of what it is supposed to look like. My next project is the Turbine building so I'm having a blast, thanks in advance.
September 25, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven, I can do that. i have one on my layout. It's a very flexible kit with two styles of roof and you can make it as long as you want just by printing more side walls. mine is double length.
What scale are you building?
Thom
September 25, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
My scale is HO, very limited room. I would go N scale but I eyes aren't N scale anymore lol.
September 29, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
I also would like to see a picture of Akron Machine, I have been pondering over making the kit but found myself scratching my head over where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
September 30, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJduv
Akron is a bit of an issue. When we first released it, it was the last kit to go on the disk. We had to make a decision weather or not to include it. For one thing it's HUGE. We had a deadline to burn the disks and we had not built it yet so there were no pictures. We gamboled that folks would rather have it then not so we went ahead. As such it's pretty lax as far as instructions.
However we have built 3 of them so far and other then a couple of non critical fit issues, it goes together well. the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's size being what it is, you will want to use extra support. either build it on thin foamcore or with a couple of extra thicknesses of card. Start on any wall.
I think you should dive in. Do as much layering as you can. If you run into an issue, let me know and I'll guide you through it. It's a very cool kit. I have two of them on my layout.
Thom (even if it says Dave)
October 1, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave