Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Sizing Question

I'm looking at the purchase of my next CD and was wondering, is there a way to increase or decrease the size? In other words, can I make a HO building out of a O scale print-out or HO to O Scale? My current layout is an HO, but I've seen a building or two in my Bricks & Mortar CD that I would like to build in O scale but I can't justify spending the extra money for a second disk of the same stuff. Any suggestions? (without breaking any copyrights by Clever Models).
August 21, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
No Problem. It's easier to go down then up. Most printers will reduce in percentages, so O to S or HO to N is pretty easy.
Going up is a bit more challenging. There's enough resolution in the image to go up to G from HO or O. The difficulty arises with the page layout. Since everything is designed to print to 8.5" X 11" card stock, just increasing the size will result in cut off images. You will need to use software like Photoshop to re-position the model parts. In general it will take 4 pages to print one page of HO to O.
Hope I'm being clear. Laying stuff out on the page is one of the biggest challenges of creating these kits.
August 21, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Thank you so much for your help Tom, I've really been having a blast lately putting together some of the kits. Although my builds are not near the quality of those folks on here that have posted pictures of their work, but its a blast learning! So far I have built the HO version of the Small Forge and the HO Flagstop, both were a lot of fun and very relaxing to do. Keep up the good work and I look forward to my next purchase.
August 22, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

I have been buying 11"x17" card stock to use when scaling up. I have both what I call plain on both sides and with a shiny coat on one side. I use one of the big box stores to copy to card stock and mine sells the larger size but if you can buy it at a paper supply store it is a lot cheaper. I can bring my own paper at the place I use so I only pay the plain paper price. The shiny one side card stock takes color much brighter then the plain card stock.

I have also bought card stock in sheets that are 26" x 40" that is white but has a slight metallic look. It gives color a really nice look and I just cut it to what ever size I need.

You need to see if you have a paper supply store near you and pay them a visit. On my first visit I took a card model along to show them what I was doing and just asked them to show me what they had in card stock.

Bill
August 23, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell
Metalic you say. I'd like to see that. What's it called?
August 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Hi Thom,

I might say it has a glitter effect to it. Sort of like pearl dust. Hard to describe. I used it for a test on a passenger car top that was a light silver blue and it looked good.

It comes in several light colors. The paper store calls it "Starwhite Smooth 84C, 26x40 336M FLASH WHT, 34523 4715.034523

This is what I found with a web search:

http://www.neenahpaper.com/StockListGuide/Starwhite.pdf

I would guess you will be able to find this in the Chicago area and get a few sheets to play with. The company will send you a sample.

http://www.neenahpaper.com/SpeakWithUs/index.asp?ft=Home

Bill
August 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell