Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Scale discussion and the Critters ?

This is going to sound strange but I think we might need a bit of discussion about HO gauge and HOn30 gauge. From how I understand it HOn30 gauge trains are just HO scale cars that utilize N scale track, On30 scale is just O gauge trains that run on HO scale track.

My question is since the critters are really on train cars without wheels why would you distinguish the critters as HOn30 or On30 models. Since the difference between the models are not the scale of the cars but the scale of the wheels ? phhheeww ! I hope that all came out right. I believe the true distinction you maybe trying to make with the critter cars maybe the fact that the cars are modeled after old logging industry types of freight and work cars. If that is the case then you guys probably are doing yourself an injustice in suggesting that the cars are either standard or n30 gauge since most train modelers associate scale with what the type of track the trains run on.

So does any of this make any sense ?

In the nutshell I believe the HO scale critter cars could be fitted with either N scale wheels to run as HOn30 or regular HO scale wheels if you wish to run them on HO scale track. O scale critter cars could be fitted with HO scale wheels to run on HO scale track or O gauge wheels to run on O scale track. Unless there is a huge difference between the width of these cars, and in that case please ignore what I have just said.
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
I won't ignore what you said JD. I see your thinking but in truth there is a difference. As prototypes, narrow gauge trains were conceived where lighter loads and tighter curves were needed. The lighter rail cost less and as such the rolling stock was proportioned accordingly. Our cars represent prototypes only 20 ft long. Overly wide cars would not go around tight curves.
I understand your wanting to have standard gauge cars and it might be possible to re scale our kits to be acceptable. If I get some time I will try to publish the scaling percentages here but I'm kind of busy right now. I'm guessing it will be something around a 10% increase but I don't know right now.

T
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
To Thom and J DUV,

I have experimented with the Critter frieght cars and found the following..... If built per the plans, standard HO KD trucks are too large and creat real problems on tight curves. It is not just a simple matter of making the car wider. I have found that one must experiment. 10% is perhaps too little. It looks like 20 % will be closer. But that means a 20' model will become 24'.

I suspect if the cars are offered in HO (as in standard track width) sales would increase for the Clever web sit. Just speculating.

John
October 14, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
J
While I applaud your logic, your reasoning about narrow gauge railroading is not accurate. If you look in any of the narrow gauge magazines, you will quickly come to the understanding that the term narrow gauge affected every aspect of the railroad. (Except usually structures.) Cars and engines were NOT just scaled down versions of standard gauge equipment. Typical 30" gauge equipment was only 7' wide, or so. 36" gauge equipment, closer to 8'. There were examples where narrow gauge roads literally lifted standard gauge equipment off there own trucks and placed them onto narrow ones, but this was only temporary. It definitely didn't work the other way around. Narrow equipment DOESN'T fit on standard trucks, prototype or scale. Also, to just use N Scale trucks under HOn30 equipment or HO trucks under On30 is not accurate either. Wheel diameters and wheelbase are usually all wrong.
Dave
October 14, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterDave
Due to stability concerns with great weight carried above wheels often not moving in a straight line on level ground, construction guidelines to minimize tipping over when cornering, encountering cross-winds, etc were developed. For a given width of track, the maximum WIDTH of the car should not exceed 3.25 times gauge; and similarly, the optimum HEIGHT of the car should not exceed 5.25 times gauge. [Precluding the load from moving about the car like tourists all rushing to one side of the small boat to see the playing dolphins is highly encouraged.]

Industrial tram railways make a good search subject for examples and photos. Carl Arendt has a modeler's website with entries from around the world [www.carendt.us] updated twice monthly.
October 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterDr Dave