Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Windows?

Hello all! I'm new to card stock modeling (though an avid model railroader for over 20 years). I see lots of great textures listed, but very few windows. Am I missing something on the Clever site? Or are there other resources to find windows? The Model Builder program looks great, but I'm not ready to go there yet (and I use Macs and haven't bought/installed Windows on any of them). I'd like to try building a freight house, a cold storage warehouse and other low relief structures/flats for a little switching layout I'm working on. Thanks for the help!

jt burke
www.marionmodelrailroadclub.org
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJT Burke
Most standard sized windows and some smaller can be found within clever models kits. If you get the shotgun houses for example you get the standard window and some smaller with the kit. I don't understand why they don't offer window textures but if you get the neighborhood wood disk, or the wooden factory disk you will find a wide range of windows you can use to build your kit with.
You should look at the model kits that are offered individually to see if any of the buildings have windows you can use for your project.
I hope this helps.
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
JT, There is a large selection of windows and doors on the texture collection dvd. Additionally, if your looking for industrial windows there are several available as individual textures in the down loadable texture library. We have been playing around with laser cut pre printed windows for some time but i can't say when we we will get around to making them available. they are quite expensive to make.

Thom
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Ya know Thom you really should post the listing for the texture disk on all the other disk scale web pages. I had no idea you had a disk with just texture and windows on it. I didn't bother checking the all scale page since I work exclusively in HO scale. Good to know definitely on my list to get.
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
LOL....I too couldn't find the texture disc until you made this post stating the all scales section! Still though, the disc only has about 10 more than the downloadable textures. While the wall and roof textures look great (probably the best I've found for card stock), I think a whole disk could be devoted to windows and doors. In looking around, everyone has lots of walls and little or no windows/doors. Perhaps building the walls with heavy card stock and using window castings is the best we have for now?
October 13, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJT Burke
Dear All,

My experience has been that there are plenty of doors and windows for just about all of the applications I need in cardstock modeling. After all, you can print as many as you want. The textures disc does have several pages of doors and windows and if you have any of the structures, there's nothing to prevent you from printing out those doors and windows, as well.

I am experimenting with a different "windows" technique for the new brewery I am building out of the cannery structure. If successful, I will tell all about it when I send Thom pictures of the final structure (probably still a month a way ... I work very slow). In general, it involves a lot of layering but offers the reflective nature of glass on the windows.

Jim
October 14, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
LOL I love how quickly you responded to our posts about the multi-scale disk webpage, and changed it to multi-scale and windows and doors. Thanks for the clarification, I am sure it will boost your sales on that disk.
October 15, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
When your right , your right
October 15, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
I don't see why a Grant Line or Tichy window could not be used in an otherwise all cardstock building.

This is a hobby. There is no such thing as cheating.
October 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterRuss Venlos
I agree with Russ when scratch building it is not unusual to use all types of materials. They do it with the wood models too. Bars Mills laser cut models now have plastic windows, metal bits for detail and cardboard for the shingles.
October 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
personally, I find the plastic window castings to dimensional but that's me. I often double and tripple the paper thickness if i want more depth.

Thom
October 28, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
How about Doors! I haven't seen much on doors in the texture stuff. A few windows... just wish they'd offer just stuff on a cd disk for just ole west stuff... that I'm interested in.
February 7, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterWinston
Winston, What are you looking for? I might have it. We have lots of stuff we haven't released.
February 8, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
"We have lots of stuff we haven't released."

What??!! Even as Clever Models junkies everywhere writhe in the agonies of withdrawal as they await release of the next disk, we find that there is more junk that they could be putting on the streets? And haven't? Come on, man, let it out! I've just visited the local craft-knife exchange program so am ready for some safe cardstocking as soon as your new stuff hits the streets. It's not my fault, you made me this way. The first one was free, now I'm hooked and I gotta have it!
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterBrent