Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > My layout Episode 3

Well I've been busy in the last couple of weeks and I've had extra time to work on models, you see after 24 yrs the company I worked for closed down so while I'm looking for another job I've been working on models to help pass the time. I've post my latest video of three new buildings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPZfwkfwwjs

(1) This building is a tribute to the "Tulsa Trolley Barn" from back in the 1920's, I worked in the building for over 20 yrs. Seeing the old coal and the tracks inside the building late in the day I sometimes felt that I could hear the oldtimers working.
(2) This building comes from the Bricks & Mortar CD called the "Small Forge"
(3) This building that I call "M R Big N's" came from looking at an old copy of Model Railroader magazine. I saw a tavern I think it was called the "chartruse Lounge" but what I did notice was the price 29.95 for HO. My wife saw it and replied " If you spent that much for a model I'd shoot ya! That alone was enough to get me trying to build it, by the way my cost? about 5 cents in paper and ink.

Hope you enjoy, btw if these messages are not proper for this web site please let me know and I'll reframe from posting these type messages.
October 18, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Hi Steve,

I enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing.

John
October 18, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Humes
Steve,

Excellent work, especially the forge building. I have a notion to build that one myself as it reminds me of some of the laboratory buidlings that my father used to work in. I assume that you lived in Tulsa? I taught at the University of Tulsa for over a decade and I remember hearing stories about the Tulsa trolley system. I am assuming that is what you are referring to?

Jim
October 19, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Yes Jim I do live in Tulsa,Ok. Glad to see that you have a TU background, if you haven't been back in a few years the place has really undergone an upgrade, the campus now stretches out almost a mile square. The Orginal Tulsa Trolley Barn was expanded to it current shape in the 1960's, I went back to a photo that was in my office of when it was built in the 1920's and that was my footprint. I really enjoy cardstock models and will continue in the future, they are so easy to work with and challenging.
October 19, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Thanks for sharing the video. keep building and keep sending links and pix

Thom
October 19, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Steve,

I left UT in 1990 but my daughter did her graduate work at UT so I went back every now and then, for a while. I always enjoued the fact that Route 66 (with all of it's nostalgia) was 11th Ave, right by the UT campus. I lived in Broken Arrow and enjoyed watching the Katy (was it the Kayty? now, I can't remember) move freight down the median on the expressway as went to campus in the mornings.

Thom, since I am not adept at these things, might it be useful to put a link to my cardstock clinic on uTube?

Jim
October 20, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
OK ... it was the Frisco ... before BN absorbed them. And ... yes .. I know it's YouTube ... Apparently, I have a student who monitors this blog.

JIm
October 20, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
What is a cardstock clinic ? Is that somewhere someone goes when they cannot stop making cardstock models ? Because if it is sign me up.
October 20, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
Jim I know that it would be helpful to me anyway! or if that is not allowed what is the Title of the Video so that we could search for it on youtube?
October 20, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

Right now I have not posted the clinic on YouTube. Indeed, Thom has the original copy of the clinic DVD and I was hoping that he might be able to post it. But, then I left it up to him to decide if the quality and the content were sufficient. Anyway, there are a couple of articles I have written on building cardstock models and, as far as I can see, you have the techniques down pretty well already.

Jim
October 21, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
I haven't been able to transfer the DVD file but I haven't tried all that hard. The material is fine but i think something more hands on might be more appropriate. My brother and i are planning to make such a tutorial but syncing our schedules is rather hard. it will get made though.
October 22, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave