Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Printers??

I'm in the market for a new printer anyway, so, what recomendations can you (and your customers) make re makes and models? I'm guessing the big issues are ink quality and paper feed capabilities. Are there models that will flat-feed cardstock?

Jim
December 23, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim
I second this request. Gentlemen please advise us on what printer to use.Thank you and Merry Christmas...
December 23, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterMitchell
We have been using Epson printers for the last 6 years. (We go through a lot of them.) The Epson ink is pretty good, it's even moisture resistant. Resistant not water proof. The ink is, unfortunately, not cheap.
I recommend a printer that has individual ink cartridges. You will find that you use twice as much Red ink as any other color.
The paper path is pretty straight and we run up to 100lb. card with no trouble. (Mostly we use 80lb card.)
I'd be curious about the Kodak because the ink is less expensive but I have no experience with them. HP's paper path is 180* and probably not good with card stock. I'd be happy to hear what others are using and what kind of experiences they have had.

Thom
December 23, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
I have the Kodak ESP 7 all-in-one printer, it is a really good printer however some things really get to me. First the printer sounds like you hit the lottery when you start to print ( it checks all paper drawers to see if there is paper present ). Second it runs 110lb paper really well but with an enclosed paper tray you are limited to 8 1/2 by 11 paper and you can not tape two pieces together making the 14".
The printer ink is cheap but kodak does not fill the cartridges very full so you run out of ink quicker than you should compared to my old HP.
Basically it is a good printer but I wouldn't buy it again.
December 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Thanks for the heads up Steven. How much are the inks? I've noticed that wile Epson has held their price, they do seem to be putting less ink into a cartridge.
December 25, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
As long as we are chatting this subject, how about generic inks and refills. I recently got some re-manufactured epson cartridges and will report on them as i use them. they were cheep, about half price. The brand is "Premium re manufactured" "printerinkrefills.com"
So far so good. A bit of a color shift (slight green) but I'm running a mixed set right now. I'll need to see if it ballances as I shift to all refilled carts.
December 25, 2010 | Registered CommenterDave
I haven't ever used anything fancy to print out excellent versions of the Clever Kits over the past 5 years or so. I have a plain old Dell Photo 944 (all-in-one). All I do is tell the printer that the image is photo-quality and that it is being fed cardstock (to loosen the rollers a little) and it works fine. I have a color laser printer at the university where I work and it does no better job (sometimes its worse). As for cartridges and ink, I stick with the Dell manufactured cartrigdes. I have tried several different generics and don't like them.

Jim
December 26, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Thom, when I last picked up ink the black ink was 9.95 and the color was 14.00

I will say that the quality of printing is equal to my HP but replacing inks at 20. & 40. for black & color the HP got replaced.
December 26, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
I have been using an HP color laserjet with success. The ink does not bleed. However, it was not cheap and the cartridges for toner are not cheap either. I think the toner is fused onto the paper, so it makes the printing pretty durable. My printer/copier/scanner/fax was $500, but I think I will have it for long time. At least I hope....

-ben
December 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterBen
This is kind of an old thread, but I have a CANON PIXMA MP830 Multi-function. I recently completed plant #2 with normal cardstock and the completed kit turned out "OK". I recently downloaded the Jefferson Ice Co. kit and as a test, printed a wall out on photo paper, as well as on the cardstock I was using. The difference is striking. I don't think I will ever go back to normal cardstock, except for maybe internal bracing. So in my opinion is that the paper matters greatly as well as the ink and the printer.
February 11, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDavid
Photo paper may give a pretty image but It's not very good for folding. Do experiment and share your results.
Photo paper is also rather expensive.

Thom
February 12, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
The best printer out there for quality, realiability and cheap ink cartridges is the HP photosmart premiums. They are designed to print photographs and use inks that won't fade. They also are wireless both bluetooth and wifi so you dont have to plug them into anything but the wall. So far the color is dead on and I have yet to have a jam in my machine and I have fed only 100 pd cardstock thru it. Also it has 4 color cartridges and they cost about 7 dollars a piece to replace...11 dollars for the black, which makes it easy to pick up ink if it runs out. Also since it is a photo quality printer they have exceptional black quality, I found that the black from some of my old bubble jet printers, when printing color used the color cartridges to make it and it just wasn't dark enough.
I hope this helps you guys out, HP photosmart premiums...I think they run around 200 dollars at staples.
February 14, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
great review on the HP. Thanks
February 14, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave