Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Newbie

Ok, newbie here. New to cardstock modeling. Ah, newbie to O scale period. I've always wanted a Lionel train!! Got one for my 52nd birthday in Nov. Train was around the tree, for Christmas. Now in the process of building my first ever small layout. I purchased the "neighbor CD, last night. Can't wait for it to arrive. I will be getting the tools, I have together and purchasing the ones I don't have. I don't have a nice printer. So I'm planning to take the CD to Staples and have them print out some of the models. Has anyone ever done this before? I will upgrade to an Epson printer soon.

Happy New Years!!!

Mitch
December 31, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterMitch
And a Happy New Year to you Mitch. Welcome to the World of Model Trains and Paper Modeling. John
December 31, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Humes
Hi Mitch. Clever models LLC welcomes you aboard. Many of our customers have started just as you are going to do. The only caveat when it comes to Staples, really any printing service, is to make sure they the images at 100%. This may sound basic, but read the fine print in the agreement they give you. Many time, it says that they "choose the best ratio" or "optimize the printed area to suit the medium". Don't listen to that. Let them know that you must have the printed material at 100% of the original. So you "know" what size is correct, go ahead and print something on your own printer, even if you think the quality might not be so good. First of all, you may be pleasantly surprised at how well even "poor" printers do. Secondly, you will "know" how big an image should be. It's also a good idea to print a "test" kit, if this is your first time. It never hurts to have some practice in before you start cutting up valuable printed parts. Go ahead and print out something at 100%, on your printer, (some printers default to "fit" or some other ratio.) even if just black and white. You will gain valuable insight into a segment of this hobby that, like the rest of us, you will really enjoy. Remember, we are all just a post away. Your order will go out as soon as the post office opens on Monday.
Dave Miecznikowski
January 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave
Hi Mitch,

I use a local Staples to print my "Clever Models" copies for me since my current "HP" printer prints very light. Join Staples "Rewards" program. This will get you something back after you spent a certain amount of money with them. Then find a paper supply store and buy your own card stock. I use a lot of something called Domtar "Cougar" item 29869 (8.5" x 11"). I also buy my own 11" x 17" card stock. You might like some other type card stock but Cougar is a bright white and seems to take the color very well.

Now with YOUR card stock in hand visit your Staples and get your models printed. My local Staples charges about $0.59 to run a color copy on MY card stock. If they use their card stock the cost jumps to over a dollar a page.

As for how you determine the size of the model, well Clever Models would do better for us if the put a small scale ruler on each page. Then we could run a copy and check the ruler to see if an inch is really an inch and make our adjustments from that. This would also make moving from something like HOn30 back to HO or Hon3 or what ever scale you want to build easier. Their is enough "white" space on their pages so finding space for a short ruler should not be a big problem.

Bill
January 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterBill Fornshell
Thanks Dave and Bill. Looking forward to the adventure.

Mitch
January 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMitch
Two thoughts on printer/printing:
1. Make sure settings on printer are set at CARDSTOCK Paper and PHOTO Quality.

I find that using MATTE PHOTO PAPER as an output option will not print as vivid as CARDSTOCK on my HP.

2. As I print out at 190% for G gauge, the thought about adding a small scale rule to the white space seems to be a good idea for anyone doing a differing scale from what is on disk/purchased.

It's easier to see what I'm cutting in G, but the cutting time is 4 times as long..... But then your Xacto blisters are bigger too.

raylrhoades
January 1, 2011 | Unregistered Commenterraylrhoades
Ray, Funny you should mention the printed scale we are doing that on new kits and textures but there aren't any that have hit the street yet. Also the "cougar"by Mohawk paper is very good. we used that back when we sold pre printed kits
Thom
January 1, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Another thought. remember that when you dull coat your model the UV gets filtered and the printing pops more. Always coat your models with UV spray or Dull coat.
January 1, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Mitch, as a beginner myself I would give you the following advice. First, don't be afraid to make a mistake unlike other forms of modeling all you need to do to replace the model is reprint it. Second, just have fun whether you do it correctly the first time or like me you make tons of mistakes. Remember.......... your next model will be your finest !

Have fun and enjoy.
January 2, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Mitch, Steven is so right. When my brother Thom and I started this business, one of our key goals was to put some FUN back into modeling. I'm not saying that you shouldn't build the best models that you can, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. There are allot of Great paper modelers that follow these posts and they have plenty of knowledge to share. Ask any question you want. I'm sure you will get the advice you need. As Steven implied, the worst that can happen, is that you get to build a model again, for almost no cost. Try that with wood or resin. Keep in touch.
Dave
January 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave
Aloha from the big island hawaii. I guess this would go to Tips & Tricks, but anyway here is something I have found out about cutting thick card stock. The steel straight edge I use would slip around when cutting unless you use a lot of down force on the straight edge, ( hard on the fingers) So here is what I did to help with this problem. Take 600 wet/dry sand paper and and apply ito the backside of the straight edge with contact cement, and presto no sliping and sliding. hope this is some help. Chuck,T
January 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChuck, T
Welcome to our community Chuck. thanks for sharing your tip. That's a good one. my own straight edge came with a cork backing so I never thought abut what I'm sure is a common problem for lots of builders. Thanks
Thom M
January 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterThom M
Thanks to everyone for the hints and tips.

Thanks
Mitch

PS It's Tuesday, do you think the DVD will arrive. LOL.
January 4, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMitch
Mitch, Did it get there? It should be there. Guess I need to change the oil in the Clever models time machine. But really it should be there by tomorrow.
January 4, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Mitch, I usually don't do this here, but your disc should arrive today. The USPS tracking number is 0310 2010 0001 2408 7319.
Dave
January 5, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave
I GOT IT.... I GOT IT.....yeah baby, just got home from work, long day, really long day. It was sitting on the kitchen table. Popped it in the computer, went to print and no color ink! What a bummer...
I'm heading to staples after work tomorrow...

Thanks
Dave

Mitch
January 5, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMitch
Ok Guys,

I've been to staples, had them print out the stone block garage and the flag stop,
I'll start playing later on today.

Mitch
January 9, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMitch
the garage is a good starter, let us know how it goes. do watch you printing costs at Staples. new printers are pretty cheap. I've seen discontinued EPSON's for $50
January 10, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave