Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > attempting a Kit bash project but need help

I'm looking for a little help from you experienced guys out there. I'm trying to do a Kit-Bash of a Clever Models kit but its not looking right, let me clue you in to what and how I’m doing it.
I really like the Turbine House but I want to change a few things about it that will make it a better fit on my layout. First I want to make it about one and a half times as long and relocate the windows. It will actually become an Incoming product building with a unloading ramp from the “Cannery Kit” extending from the overhead door on the back of the “Turbine House Kit” extending along and next to the track.

I have a program called Adobe Photoshop 7.0 that I’m attempting to use to make those modifications.
1. I open a new 8.5” X 11” page
2. I open the Kit using Adobe Reader 9
3. from the EDIT menu I select “Copy to Clipboard”
Now switching over to the Photoshop
3. from the EDIT menu I select “Paste” into the Photoshop document
This is the point things start going wrong. The page from the Kit now takes up a space approx. 2-1/2” by 2” instead of 8.5 X 11. When I enlarge it to fit the new document I lose a lot of the finer details on the bricks plus it loses the height and width of the orginal since I’m guessing as to how much to expand it.

Is there an easier way to modify or make changes?
March 17, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

When creating the new page make sure that the resolution on the new page is the same as the resolution on the Clever page.

John
March 17, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Humes
Also, open the file directly in Photoshop. No need to open adobe reader, photoshop will open PDF's it's self.
Be sure to set your new files at 300dpi
Thom
March 17, 2011 | Registered CommenterDave
Steven,

I am a little bit more "old school" when it comes to kit bashing. My own first impulse would be to print out the siding I want from the textures disc, then cut out the existing side from the turbine house and transfer dimensions from it to the blank siding. Then with the size increased, I can put windows, doors, etc., anywhere I want. I use Photo Shop every once in a while, but for the most part, I am not adept enought and prefer the tried and true KISS method.

Jim
March 18, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Draw the building I am making onto a sheet of heavy paper then cut out the texture I want for the walls and glue them on over the drawing then I cut the windows and doors out and glue them directly onto the building where I want them. Then I cut and glue all extra doors and windows I would need onto the white parts of the page. once that is all done I scan the image into my computer and open the file in photoshop. I add weathering, and any details I couldn't add by cutting and pasteing and save the file again. Then I print out my new building layer it just like any other clever model kit.
Hope this helps...I somethimes don't even alter the model in photoshop before I print and build my custom kits.
March 18, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJDuv
Guys thank you for your ideas, I've used a couple and the tests so far are much better than I thought. Thanks JDuv, Thom, John, and Jim.
March 18, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSteven