Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Any Suggestions for Working with Company/Mill Houses

Thom suggested I ask about this in this discussion. See what you think:
Got the neighborhood disc today. I'm a bit confused with one item even before I start: For the company house is it expected, required, needed to use the "tarpapered" piece AND the two outside pieces (I will use clapboard)? I plan to make two or three mill houses, all the same color (tan) like you might see in a Southern mill town. I see the detail in the windows, doors, etc., on the tarpaper part, but I'm concerned with trying to work two layers together. On the Quonset hut I got the window detail, etc., just by cutting the windows a little large and gluing to the back of the opening on the front wall, for example. I know that many builders like to show some "wear and tear" with there structures, so I can see how the tarpaper part might be good to have to let show behind the clapbord. On the other hand, I don't want to make work for myself. Your thoughts?

FYI, I think I'll probably cut the foundation down to maybe three or four rows of bricks to get rid of the basement. I might also add a porch across the whole front of the house -- either with an extension or pieced together paper or grooved polystyrene piece. It's typical for Southern homes to have a washing machine and a sofa on the front porch and the little porch that comes with the kit doesn't have enough room! I haven't figured how to do a roof for the extended porch, yet.
November 6, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMack
mack, There are files with all of the raw materials in the extras folder. you should have no problem working out a porch roof. if you do I'll go through all my parts and see if i can work something up for you.
November 6, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterThom
Mack,
I've probably built that kit more than anyone and I don't think that you will have any problem with the fit.
But if you are concerned, there's nothing saying that you HAVE to build it the way the parts are intended. A couple of suggestions.

Let the outside layer be the main structural part and just cut the tarpaper walls into separate walls and attach them, individually, to the outside piece.

OR

Cut the windows and doors out of the tarpaper layer all together (leaving a bit of gluing surface all around) and place them individually as in other kits.

OR

You could get really creative and just use the printed wall as a pattern and use other wall and window material, from the extras folder, and make something completely different.

That is why we (you and me and everyone else who follows this blog) have chosen this fantastic medium. You can easily do things that guys in styrene and urethane only dream about.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
November 7, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Thom and Dave, Thanks for replies. Yep, I think I can find raw materials for a porch and roof in what you supplied. And, I'll probably go along with your first suggestion, Dave -- cut each inside wall layer separately. That should make it easy to line up the windows and doors for the detail. I saw three mill village houses on the magnoliaroute.com website that look like what I want. I think the Clever kits will allow me to get there. Now I just have to find the time to get started. . . .
Thanks again!
November 7, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMack
Hey Mack, If you find where they keep all the time hidden, please send some to us. As we have mentioned,in the blog, we are trying to do a major update on the website and it takes TONS of TIME. Hope you find some.
Dave & Thom
November 8, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski