Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > My first card stock model!

Ever since hearing about card stock models on the model railcast show I've wanted to try and build one. I started the evening trying to scale down the O scalewood yard shed in the freebies section down to HO but my printer evidentally does not support the scaling. I ended up purchasing the control shed as a starting project.

I've documented my first build on my blog http://bestsnowman.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/printing-models/ and am really excited about building my next model!
November 23, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMatt Newman
Hi Matt. I went to your blog spot to see what you did with the kit. Nice job. Don't know if you checked out any of the tips that are posted in the same place you got the free download. They will help with allot of the points you noted in your comments regarding tools and techniques. Couldn't tell from the pix what type of printer you are working with, but don't give up trying to find the reduction menu. Almost all printers can reduce, but sometimes finding the right menu can be a chore. When you go to your print menu, chances are good there will be a tab called "advanced" of something like it, maybe "setup". You will probably find the reduction feature there. You can also thy the manufacturer's website. Usually, they can tell you where the reduction feature is.
Thanks for coming, "into the FOLD".
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Thanks Dave!

I did check out those tips (they were very helpful). I didn't have a chance to hit up the hobby store and was tired of thinking to myself "someday I should try this" and decided to try it with what I had on hand.

As for the printer its a cheapish HP, it has a copy function that can resize but the drivers are just terrible I will definitely keep trying. I've also got a lot of ideas for some kit bashing and customization too.
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMatt Newman
Matt. You got the right idea. very glad you posted today on our anniversary. one more thing to be thankful for.
Thom
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterThom
Matt, I just started with the cardstock models AND only a month or two ago with a layout. Looks like you're ahead of me! I found the cardstock approach to be very satisfying -- have completed the Quonset hut and a small tool shed. You'll find the X-acto knife a big help.

One tip that I have not seen but has helped me is to position my blade at the end of the cut to be made (inserting enough to make a small cut), lining up my metal rule against the inserted blade, adjusting the rule along the whole line to be cut, and checking at the start to ensure the rule is positioned properly. I've found that allows me to ensure I'm against the rule AND on the proper "line" of cut. As the piece is being cut, you'll have a natural end with the small original cut and won't run past the end of your line. Seems that is the approach that was suggested YEARS ago in my Engineering Graphics class to line up a pencil line. IT WORKS. And, a similar approach can be used when burnishing for bends -- make a dimple at the end of the line and hold the tool in place, place the rule against the tool, line up the rule, burnish from the start of the line and the original dimple will help you stop at the right spot.

Also, I originally used 100 lb cardstock with the Quonset hut, but quickly moved to 65 lb. The 100 lb is difficult for HO gauge with "compound" bends!! I'll have to try 80 lb and see how that works.

My next "challenge" is the mill houses off the HO Neighborhood disc. I like that Thom and Dave seem to push builders toward original ideas using their models -- you don't have to build it the way they did! I've used their "old brick" print-out on my scratch-built Bott's Cotton Gin (an E. L. Moore structure from a 1978 issue of Model Railroader) as well as their standing seam siding/roofing. I intend to use a full porch on the mill houses instead of their small gabled porch roof. Hope it all works out.
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMack
Matt,

I also was interested in the Wood Yard Shed but alas I model in HO scale. What my approach to the solution was is as follows:

I down loaded the model and after the download I then printed the model at 53% (scaling). I then scaned the reduced size model into my computer. Lastly I then printed the new file at the reduced size from my saved file.

After I built the model I was very pleased with out come.

Since then I have printed several copies of the model to do some kit bashing.

Thanks for posting the link to your build. Very nice work.

John
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Humes
I guess I didn't plan on matching up with your anniversary but I'll admit it's pretty cool that I did.

Mack, I'll definitely have to try that ruler trick.

I agree that these models really lend themselves to kit bashing and modification. Getting replacement parts is so easy there is no reason not to expriment.
November 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMatt Newman
Matt,

Thanks for your kind remarks about the podcast. I had a lot of fun doing it and am glad that it gave you the incentive to give cardstock modeling try.

Jim
November 28, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore