Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Time to pick your brains

Hi everyone. In the last couple of days we have had some comments about building size. Seems that you, generally, favor "smaller" buildings. Well, the question I have is, DEFINE SMALLER"? What is your ideal size / footprint? Since "the customer is always right", (well theoretically) what say you. I guess you can call this market research. Do you think some of our kits are "just too big? Yes, I know some are huge. This has really piqued my interest.
Dave & Thom
February 13, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave,

I model in HO and have limited space. I tend to target sturctures that have a foot print of 5X6" or less. Mostly less. Exceptions may be a engine house or a complex such as a mine or saw mill.

You are the best in paper or card stock modeling. Keep up the good work.

John
February 13, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Well, I'm not convinced that the customer is always right -- I like your caveat, "theoretically". Sometimes the customer doesn't really know what s/he wants and expert advice is needed.

Be that as it may, my layout is smaller than 4X8' yet I have a bunch of structures. This may be TMI, but as an example:
Company Houses -- 3 of them at about 2 1/2 X 4", each (yours, by the way)
Company Store -- 5X7, laser wood kit
Cotton Gin -- 6X10, scratchbuilt with some Clever Bros "textures"
Passenger Station -- 4X9, plastic
Quonset warehouse -- 3 3/4X5, another Clever Bros
Cotton Factory -- 5 1/2X15, plastic and the "focal" point of the cotton theme railroad

While I don't have any more room for larger structures -- roundhouse, another factory, etc. -- there is certainly nothing wrong with a layout that needs them. So, I guess I'm all for a variety. Just don't forget the "little guy"!! Still, I'm waiting to see (but I won't be building) the Chama coaling station, or whatever that monstrousity is!?!
February 13, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMack
Well, so far, this is encouraging since the last 6 kits have all been a variety of sizes, ranging from 6-7/8" x 4-1/8" in HO (Beatties), to 2" x 1-5/8" in HO (Speeder Shed). Well the next building to be released will be smaller than the Machine Shop, but larger than Kirk's. Just a couple of more "quirks" to work out.
February 13, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
There are exceptions but as a rule of thumb the size of our buildings is determined by the limit of an 8.5 X 11 piece of paper. So a max footprint of 8X10 in O scale.

Let us know what you can use on your layouts. I may have gotten carried away with Chama but I'm committed..or should be;
February 13, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
Thom and Dave,

For what it's worth, you know that I will build anything out of cardstock but I must admit that the larger buildings are much more of a challenge and difficult to place on my On30 layout. Right now, Beatties is killing me ... just because I can't get things to align and manipulating 8.5 x 14 paper is a little tricky. I prefer something a little bit smaller but, on the other hand, I am waiting for Chama coal tower with great anticipation. So .. maybe what I mean is small footprint ... vertically, I don't care so much.

By the way, the catalog idea is great. I have been leading a number of cardstock clinics and pictures of the completed structures is really what helps the people out.

JIm
February 14, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
If it weren't that Beattie's is a representation of a real building, I wouldn't have made it so large. Feel free to cut it down. I think it will look fine that way.
February 14, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
I have and love some of your larger buildings and have also built some of the smallest and even cut some down to front only to go along a wall. There is no perfect size.

How's that for not answering your question or is that an answer. Keep doing what your doing.

Wes
February 14, 2012 | Unregistered Commenterwes moreland
I have a very small HO layout measuring only 24" X 96" (2' X 8'). My problem being my layout is designed for switching and must be movable and removable. My problem is finding buildings that not only resemble buildings that look good (clever does a fantastic job there) but also look somewhat scale.
February 15, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Hi Steven. Don't be discouraged with the size of your layout. It's quite a good size for a switching layout in HO scale. My personal layout is also a portable switching layout and it is 2'-6 x 16' in O scale. I put a quick pic of it in the BLOG. Thanks for using our buildings. They travel well because they are so light. If you pack them well, they will take a amazing amount of abuse. Most of the buildings you see on my layout have been around for at least 6 years, some 8.
February 16, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave,

Love the pics of your layout. I like seeing how you use your buildings onthe layout. How about some more pictures? Thanks for all of your "clever" products. They're great!

Jim
February 18, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJim Bisbee
I know this might sound daft,but it doesn't bother me what size foot print your buildings are,because i ether make the model fit the layout,hence the flats on my traction layout,or i go the otherway make a layout fit the models,wether it be a small switching,shelf or just a module,or building the model for someone else,or i modify the kit,to fit either shorten or make it longer to fit,what your building,its all about horses for courses,you wouldn't use a cart horse in point to point now would you,keep up the great work,cant wait to see the Bents,as i have some ideas up my sleeve Marc.
February 18, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMarc
You asked for ideas for future projects. I built your Western Storefront 01 and love it. It was my first paper structure. I was hooked, and have purchased all of your structure discs except one. Haven't built all of the structures on the disc, that will take several years. Anyway, I am getting a bit off theme. The name Western Storefront 01 leads one to believe there may be more variations in the future. I would like to see more western themed wooden structures. The bunkhouse fits this category nicely.
February 18, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterBill
Bill, there will be more western buildings. in the mean time i'd recomend the "silver city NV" mine building, the "cannery" the"G&D water tower"
"the whistle stop or small rural depot".
February 18, 2012 | Unregistered Commenterthom
Thom, in keeping with my "western theme", I recently built your flag stop as a stand alone telegraph office. I will send a couple of pix's directly to you by separate e-mail.
February 19, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterBill
Bill, i posted the pix you sent. a nice job that has me thinking I should revisit that kit with a new paint job and signage. thanks for the inspiration.

HERE'S an update. I did it. I made an official conversion to a telegraph office. It will likely be one one of our mini disks
February 19, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
Customers have multiple needs, and Clever does a great job at supplying multiple sizes.

I have S10 Quonset & S17 Sheet metal storage building and am planning for S06 Small forge & S07 Furnature factory. I will build furnature facory as low-relief. I'm not sure yet how I will kitbash the forge - for my taste it's too small as designed. I think it will work with two kits (elephant style) giving the saw-tooth roof line characteristic of forges and glass works.

I'm working on a shelf-style switching layout and would be delighted to see more photos of yours. Also details of the lightweight construction.
February 20, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterLehigh