Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > siding

I am about to scratch-build a model of a hotel that was featured in the Narrow Gauge Gazett. I looked all through my Clever files for "white clapboard siding" and had no luck finding such. I did find 'fadded' siding but this is not what I need. My question is will Clever offer just plain white clapboard siding?

If not, do you have any hints as where to go?
March 10, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Do you have a picture? white siding would not be pure white. It would have no character.
I do have some pretty white siding. I'll make it for you.
March 10, 2012 | Unregistered Commenterthom
As much as I hate to say this, I'm pretty sure Evan Design has one on their Model Builder disc. I'd try contacting them first to ask.
You might also try Phillips Models in NZ. They usually don't go any bigger than OO scale, but you can download their stuff and enlarge it just like ours.
Just for a laugh, tell 'em that Dave from Clever Models sent ya. Actually, we get along pretty well. Their good people.
March 10, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
gakkk, bite your tongue brother. We'll make it for you. i got it. geesh!!

TM
March 10, 2012 | Unregistered Commenterthom
Sounds like Thom has this one -- a challenge from Brother Dave. But, on the HO Scale Neighborhood disc there are some models by John Kosma included that have a white 2-car garage, a Tallwood garage that's almost white, and a white house (flat) that would have some whitish clapboard. None of these are stark white, and you may have already checked these. You're right, seems the textures from Clever Bros don't have a white clapboard except for the "tan distressed" in the HO Scale Textures that looks like it's loosing its white paint. . . . Thom to the rescue!!
March 10, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMack
Thank you for all the rplies. Sadly no color photos in the Gazet. Only black and white and a line drawing sketch.

Yes....Please make one. I do appriciate the offer Thom.

I did indeed check the Neighborhood disk. Ahhhhh a distant maybe. I am considering the light blue clapboard on the Textures disk. Maybe I can pull it into PhotoShop and play with the colors.

Oh, thanks for the tip about New Zeland.

John
March 11, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
John, If you have photoshop you can make a white clapboard. weather you use the light blue or one of the tan boards might make a slight difference in weather you get a warm white or a cool white.
open the file then make a duplicate layer . Always make changes to a layer rather then the original. Go to the " image" tab go to "Adjust" and "Hue saturation". desaturate the image but only about 90%. there is no true white it always leans toward a color.
once you have done this you will have an image that is too dark. Make another duplicate of this layer( "layer"- "duplicate") be sure its on top in the layers panel. In the layers panel you will see a dropdown that says "normal" change this to either "Screen" or "overlay". try both it up to your taste. notice how the layer gets brighter. Too bright right.
In the same panel there is an opacity control. take the opacity down to about 50% or what ever strikes your eye as correct.

Now I have created a white :shiplap" and "clapboard" if you supply your contact email i will send you the file and you can compensate with a small donation.
Hope this helps.
Thom
March 11, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
Well Folks, I did try to recolor in PhotoShop. Had limited sucesse. Oh well, there is always Evergreen or NorthEast. But that is not the way I want to go.

Maybe Thom will come to my rescue:))
March 11, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn