Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Rudy's printing, the back story

I just wanted to share a short story about the name Rudy and its' history.
We could have been called "Rudy's models". With all of the comments we get about "oh that's clever" or being called Cleaver models it might have been a good choice.
However our family name is Miecznikowski. It's a mouthful. All through our kid hood when ever we ordered takeout or made a reservation our parents would just say, "put it under Rudy", thus saving the long inevitable and tiresome explanation. Apparently "Rudy" goes back in use from before our dad was born. This practice must have deep roots in the family because everyone calls dad "Clyde" but his name is Walter. Go figure. I also have an uncle "Bubbles" but that's another story.
Dad also was a printer, working for a large company, RR Donnely. They printed National Geographic and Playboy. Later he worked for small print shops and even had a couple of presses in the garage.
So, Rudy's printing is a tip o the hat to the old man who just turned 88 last week.

When ever I get all historical I remember odd events that seem to have connections with my contemporary life. One thing RR Donnely did was print and insert premiums. We would regularly get some trinket or sample that dad would bring home. One time he brought us a huge card stock model of a Pan Am 707 jet liner printed in full color on metallic paper. It blew my young mind and obviously left a strong subconscious impression. I wonder if we ever finished building it?
April 23, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
Thom,

Thanks for the background. Really interesting.

I have a question about the new download of Rudy's.... is it with and without the sign graphics?

Stay well,

John
April 23, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
The ghost signs are a part of the wall texture. There are 3 sign options for the hanging sign. If you want a special sign let me know and I'll make you one. The cast brass looking ornament is a part of the art but can be easily modified. It is very typical for buildings of this age to exhibit the original owners name even if they have since moved on.
Other then the ghost graphics. I'm happy to help you customize the kit.
Thom
April 23, 2012 | Unregistered Commenterthom
Thom,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Health issues and such.

I appriciate your offer to help 'customize' the model. What I had planned on doing was to use 'Rudy's' as a base model of genric nature and construct several models from there for my model railroad 'Buddies' using their names on the buildings and presenting the finished models as gifts to them.

In the past I used "Rudy's" to create a dress shop for my friend's wife. The building was convereted to a one story brick building and retaing the original store front of 'Rudy's'. Using Photoshop I instered the lady in the doorway and created a storefront sign with her name on it. ie..Dot's Dress Shop. I also photographed a real dress shop window and placeed a few dress from that photo into 'Rudy's' front window.. It was fun doing the 'dress shop' and it made a Lady smile.

As for future plans for Rudy's I will use Photoshop layer functions and your "Brick Textures to create a plain building. I find Rudy's to have a great footprint and the building represents many buildings of the 30's thru the 50's. Thank you so much for providing "Rudy's".

John
May 6, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn
Well John, if you liked Rudy's Printing, you might find Hoosier Mama's Pies attractive as well. Maybe Thom will provide the back story, since he's the one that discovered the actual building. Check the MODELS area.
May 6, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
John, Please send pix of your builds. I'm sure people would enjoy them.
May 6, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave