Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Bases for buildings

I know that its summer and most are out doing the outdoor activities but I've come across a problem. I have finally put together a workable switching layout that is only 2' X 8'. Since in my situation requires that it be moveable I am using EZ Track for the layout mainly because I have it available to me. My question is since using EZ track in HO guage the rails are approx 2 feet up from the base (using HO scale measuring) so the buildings look smaller by comparsion. My question is how do I make the buildings appear to be not in a hole? do I set each building on a base? Any ideas?
I will try and take a picture and send it to Tom to get you more of an idea of what it is that I'm fighting but any help is appriciated.
June 28, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steve, using the building interior brace as a template you can fashion a foundation from 1/4" or 1/2" foam-board. This would be worked into your scenery or wrapped with concrete, brick or stone texture paper.
Additionally there is often a drainage ditch along rail lines so you could build up scenery leaving a bank between the building and the track. Could be an interesting landscaping opportunity.
June 28, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
I agree with Thom. If it's an urban area you can use cork as well and simply create a level area to support your city at the level of the track and keep the higher, bermed roadbed for the countryside.

Jim
June 29, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Thanks for the suggestions, it opens up my mind to the possibilities. Having such a small space was causing me great disappointment until Thom or Dave posted a picture of their layout a while back. That got me thinking and working on a solution, I now have a layout that is challenging enough for me to spend time with. This layout can hold a total of 17 cars with space for switching, it has so far taken me an average of 30 minutes to produce a 3 car train from start to finish. I realize I won't be making circles with my train but its fun! Now the search begins on what scenery and buildings (clever model of course) I use to make my layout visually interesting.
Thanks for your help, its going to be a wonderful journey.
June 30, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterSteven