Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > A conversation

I am re-posting a conversation that has been on my personal email with Jim Gore because I think the general ideas are relevant.

Thom,
Just had a discussion with a couple of modelers who were bemoaning the loss of Paper Creek tarpaper and I suggested the Clever Models “distressed tarpaper” which they did not know about. Any possibility that you could add sheets in green, brown, and red? These are all standard tarpaper colors that I use and would be a great use.

Regards,
Jim
July 26, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave
Jim, As always thanks for showing folks our way. We have all of that available right now. When Paper creek went under we wrote to them offering to help them keep their products available. We got no response. We didn't want to poach their product but when a sufficient amount of time passed we added 6 variants of tar paper including one that is almost identical to what they had offered. Printed on light weight paper (24lb typing paper) and cut in strips, it looks great.
If you go to the texture page they are the last images shown. Let us know what your friends think.
Thom
Thom,
Yes …. I have downloaded all of those textures, but I was hoping I could convince you to do the distressed ones in red and green. Right now, I see the distressed ones only in black. I will let you know what people think.
Regards,
Jim
Jim, after creating the distressed one I felt that doing it in the other colors was possibly redundant. It's so easy to do it yourself. I guess I could be wrong.
Thom
I agree. But I think that most people look at the other sheets and think of them as a single roof covering rather than individual strips. I like the individual strips, myself, but I see your point.
Yeah Jim, it's hard to cover every possible variation. One reason I don't distress the other tar papers is that by giving it as a continuous sheet, the customer gets more potential. If I do everything for them, they get a lot less due to space limits.
I guess you can't please everyone. We should have this discussion on the web page where others can get the benefits as well.

Thus I have reproduced it here.
Any thoughts about how far we should lead / force folks into using just one method as opposed to relying on individual ingenuity?
We prefer supplying materials that allow for the modeler to change things. That appeals to the more experienced chaps, but we have seen on many occasions where a good number don't get it and more importantly don't want it. From a business point of view, this is an important bit of information. If we can't make everyone happy, who do we please.
I like the idea of the full sheets. I acquired your textures disc and find that i am using multiple scales. Maybe I'm a little bit lazy, but I use the S scale clapboard cut into strips for HO modelling. One of your sites suggested cutting individual strips and then placing a small strip under the edge to get a 3d texure. I figured I'd just use a larger scale and let the strips overlap a little. Saves a lot of cutting and glueing of little strips. The tarpaper sheets as well are being cut into strips or if the model is going to be a little distance for viewing the sheet can be cut to fit and then openings cut where it has been eroded away. Its easy and gives excellent results.
July 27, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterWeston
More opinions please.
We track sales everyday and one of the tool;s we use tells us which kits are selling best this month. I'm kind of surprised that the "Small steel mill" building is the number 1 top seller. there's nothing wrong with it certainly but it's a bit plain. so why does it sell so well?
Proportions, flexibility, usefulness, I'd really like to know. Any one out there who has it want to enlighten me?
Should I accessorize it with some kind of expansion pac? How are you using it?
Inquiring cardstock designers want to know.
September 18, 2012 | Registered CommenterDave