Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Mod on the S19 Started

Wow, four hours. You sure work faster than I am able to do. Nice work. Tell us about how you dod the windows.
January 21, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterBill
Thanks,

I have a pretty good system. It took longe because I hd to get rid of a loading door off one panel and a green door with steps of the other. The windows are printed on Vellum I got from Staples - it's just plain old inkjet Vellum. I will put two or three 5mm LEDs in side and I have a couple exterior ornamental LEDs I will put on the exterior. It probably has another 2 or three hours left to do the roof, add the lights and hit a few more details.

Ted
January 21, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterTed
The vellum seems to work well. Your getting good results. The warehouse is a very flexible kit. If your working from the disk there are also walls without graphix, I believe in the extras folder. So you can expand and kitbash forever.
January 21, 2013 | Registered CommenterDave
Thom, I have not bought a disk yet. Why? The models I like the best are split between two disks. It has not stopped me from making what I need. :)

I have kids and they love turning off the lights so any chance I can light a structure, I will do it and that is the motivation behind the Vellum. I have it tucked in the middle of my city temporarily and it looks great.

-Ted
Thom,

So here it is in the layout. You can see the Chimney in the back too. It looks great and fits in well with the skyline. I have 10 of your structures on my layout and even mixed in with off the shelf MTH and Lionelville they blend right in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmackel/8403640539/

This is a little closer, I have more work to do on the whole scene.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmackel/8404735070/
Ted,

I really like your use of vellum to print the windows. It's ingenious and it works! I will be copying your technique soon. I see you use gator board to support your structures. I used to use foam core but I find gator board much easier to work with. Love your layout, keep the pics coming!

Jim
January 26, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterJim Bisbee
Thanks Jim,

I installed lights last night. Check out this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmackel/8415060133/

-Ted
January 26, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterTed
Ted,

The lights look good. Are those LEDs? I like the lights on the underside of the trolley trestle, too. Is that trestle built from foam core or gator board?

Jim
January 26, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterJim
Yeah they are all LEDs, with the Foam Core and paper I cant afford to risk using lights that generate heat. I have put foil inside some of the buildings to help bounce the light around.

The trestles were made of Masonite, then I took standard drywall shims and laminated a steel girder graphic on and then hot glued the shim to the bottom of the track support. I jammed some foam up there to hold the LEDs in place. This was my first attempt at building my own elevated trolley from scratch, next time I can do a much better job.

-Ted
January 27, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterTed
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who builds a solid core and then wraps the Clevermodel textures around that. I use an architecture model material called "butterboard" it's super cheap and works well for HO scale. I wonder how many go this route?
January 27, 2013 | Unregistered Commentercnwnorthline