Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Question of Scale

I run an HO scale switching layout on a 2'X8' table using EZ track and am needing to fill about 6 foot of length with business district buildings, these would need to be 3 sided structures. I originally thought about just glueing the fronts of buildings to a backdrop but it just looked too flat, any suggestions?
February 9, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

If nothing else, glue them to some 1/4" or 1/8" foam-board (Gaotr board if you can get it) so that they stand away from the backdrop. If you pain the dges of the foam board a similar color to the front (or a dark gray), they will blend into the backdrop and still give you some depth of field. Of course, you can always use, say the first 1/4" or 1/8" of the kits sides and use those in place of the foam-board.

Jim
February 9, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
I bought a couple of the flats from Clever Models and then I bought several buildings and built them as flats. They are 3 sided, stick out about 1.5 to 2 inches form the backdrop and I put LEDs inside to light them up. I am working in O Scale, but you can add some depth to these as backdrop buildings similarly to what I did.

This is a link to a full building kit I built out as a front for my back drop http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmackel/6825843164/

This is one of Clever Models flats I built out with LEDs http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmackel/6966495705/

The Lighting is my need, it is not part of the kit, I like lots of lighting on my layout so I came up with a way to change the windows to add the lighting.

I have 11 Clever Models structures on my layout mixed in with MTH and Lionel built up styrene buildings that have been weathered and detailed and the result has been very good with many people commenting that these Clever Models can hold there own on a urban setting such as mine.
February 9, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterTed
Thanks for your ideas so far, when I first laid my track I just worked with the track to get a plan that would allow plenty of switching abilities and working with an area that small created some challenges. I've finally got a track layout that brings more than just a "Puzzle" to the plan. My focus changed when I took a good look at my rolling stock and noticed it consisted of mainly dairy & ice cream commericals on the cars so I've decided to build a layout using the Creamery industry as my model in the era of early 1960's. Using this as my criteria now I can start planning and exacuting my rough plans.
I will try and post a picture of my track layout so that you can see the issues that I'll have along the way, I've got a bunch of track but also allowing areas for structures since it is important to me for this to be more than just a excerise in switching I also want to have some operations. Operations and a 2 X 8 ft layout may not be practical but that is my goal
February 10, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterSteven