Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > O Scale

This is slightly off-topic but my question is: Can O Scale be used in a Garden Railroad setting? The Mrs. and I are looking for a new home and I've always wanted a Garden Railroad but the cost of G Scale is crazy (in my opinion). I there a reason O scale can't be used in an outdoor setting, I would think there would be many more options if it could be used instead of G scale.
May 10, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Hi Steven
O Scale has been used outdoors for many, many years, especially overseas. It works quite well outside. I would not, however use our buildings outdoor, unless you plan on bringing them in after EVERY use. They are paper and even though you may seal them, they do not do well in wet climates.
May 10, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
You are quite right on the paper building issue, I believe other options would need to be considered for outdoor use. Since this outdoor project would be a long term project to complete (if ever) I was looking at alternatives to G scale from a cost standpoint, G scale looks neat but the prices are crazy!
May 13, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Hi. I have an outside O scale layout over here in Scotland. I have no problem running Dc (for visitors) or usually DCC for my own stock. I have found the track will move quite a bit with winter (-*c thru to todays + 26*c) so you have to make sure the track is able to slide in the fish plates, I also bond the joints and have droppers on every second lenght of track. I am now investigating battery power with RC for when I do not feel like cleaning the track.
July 20, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterArry Dodd.