Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Small house step & landing

Working on the small company house in HO. & would like some help with the front steps & landing. Can't identify the parts needed on the sheet & would like a larger picture to see the relationship of the various components...Railings, supports etc. Thanks
September 10, 2013 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Jerry, I am sending you an illustration to help you identify the parts and their position on the page.
September 11, 2013 | Registered CommenterDave
Sorry, I was too vague with the question. The specific question is on the front railings. It seems to me that there should be 2 sides to the railings like the stringer & treads. Seems like there is a backer piece for the railing as well as a top for the railing, but no backer for the posts. Was going to cut out another set of railings from another sheet to have wood detail on both sides, then glue the top on.
September 11, 2013 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Hey Jerry,
I just built three of them (will probably end up with five). Of course, I don't know what Thom actually had in mind, but, based on the pictures, I just went with a single layer for the uprights. Colored the backs with my grey marker and put the rail layer on the top (printed) creating a bit of a width for the rail cap. I think they came out pretty darn nice... If this works, here is a link to pics of what I have so far. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B884B68D5958E8E9!1129&authkey=!AAN_jPioGuhhxqs
Be gentle, I'm still more or less a newbie at this, and my layout is still in the 'plunking things down to see what it might look like' stage.
September 11, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterKenneth Plum
Just checked out your pictures..nice work. I too plan to make 3, but only have 1 almost done. I decided to double up the railings for looks as well as strength. I used yellow glue which also adds strength. Also thinking of adding a rail from the end of the railing to the house to help keep everything square & straight.
Don't tell anyone, but I substituted plastic window castings. MUCH easier on these old eyes than cutting the various layers. I also put the dormer on..really adds to the overall look.
Spent the most time on the foundation windows, but it was worth it...jerry
September 11, 2013 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
I'd love to see how it turns out.
I also did the full treatment on the foundation windows for the first two, bit just did the easy out single layer back thing for number three ( and number four under construction). I agree that all the tiny bits to cut out for the full layering treatment is a pain, but I refuse to give up. The results are so dramatic it has to be worth the learning curve. I am getting better...
Old eyes. Yeppers, it was my pushing 60 eyes starting to tear that prompted me to actually start doing what I've wanted to do all my life, and I'm having a blast!
September 11, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterKenneth Plum
Jerry, I think I'm with Kenneth; just used a single layer. I left off the dormer as well as basement windows. Living in a "mill town" in the Southeast allowed me to drive through a few mill villages. Around here, most mill houses did not have basements and were only one story. On the other hand, I found lots of houses that had minor modifications. For example, many porches were added to. In years gone by, when it was stifling inside, it would be cooler to sit out on the porch and get a little breeze -- while shooting the breeze with passerbys!?!? Anyway, I did some porch modifications. If you do that, you may not even have to worry about the railings from the Clever Bros. . . .

Check it out:
http://blacktop-crossing.blogspot.com/2011/12/cardstock-models.html
September 11, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterMWBailey
The modifications are a good idea, especially like the porches . After doing the one it seemed the building could be lowered at least one step. Too late now, but will consider that on the next ones. I bought enough windows for the 3, so I will use them even tho they are not as fancy as the printed ones.
A good source for really heavy paper for bracing is a framing shop. They use some very thick paper for the mats & throw away the center cutout. I got a good supply for free. Thanks for the reply.. jerry
September 12, 2013 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
I just completed the small company house in HO scale. I printed the stairs and landings several times as I intend to build several houses. I do like the enlarged porch and will try to incorporate something similar. As far as the hand rails are concerned, I did double-up on the posts so I would get the same finish on both sides; now if I could just get the treads straight and level ...... You can view this latest project and many others on my Photobucket at http://s1354.beta.photobucket.com/user/RdgNgineer/library
October 21, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterDave Rarig