Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Motive Power Suggestions

Can anyone make some suggestions as to power units to use under the excellent Clever Models On30 locomotive shells? I've got the rolling stock figured out with shortened Bachmann Freight Car Underframes and Low Frame Arch Bar Trucks (sold separately), but I need something to make the engines run. Thanks in advance.
- Mase
September 21, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMase Maronn
Mase,

Although I have not built any of the critters from Clever Models, I have scratchbuilt several critters from sheet styrene and they have approximately the same wheelbase. I have used the Northwest Shortline Stanton drive to considerable success. They have a choice of several wheelbases and have fit my critters just fine.

Jim
September 22, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Mase,
I haven't built any of the Clever Model critters either but there is another source for drives In Austrailia, called Hollywood Foundry Railway Products. You can reach them at http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/default.htm. I'm going to get my next On30 critter drive from them.

Bob
September 23, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterRobert
Some of these special power units can run into some money. Looks like you could use a small HO scale switcher mechanism from ebay or a train show. The older Bachmann HO scale 44 ton switchers have individual motors mounted on each truck so you could get 2 power sources for the price of one. Looks like the sides come down almost to the track so you really couldn't tell how many wheels were there. I do HOn3 & have used Bachmann N gauge switchers with the wheels pried out to power my "creations".
September 25, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Thanks, guys, for these excellent suggestions.
- Mase
September 27, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMase Maronn