Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Printing up to O scale, from HO scale

I recently purchased the Waterfront in HO scale. My hands don't work like they used to, and I think HO is a little too small for me anymore. I know if one wants to print smaller HO scale from O scale, one needs to set the printer to 55%...but what about the reverse, HO up to O? I know some resolution will be lost...what about it guys?

ranny
November 15, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterranny9
181%

The trick for calculating enlargement or reduction is: Take the denominator of the scale you have (HO = 1/87, so 87) and divide by the denominator of the scale you want (O = 1/48, so 48).

87 ÷ 48 = 1.8125

Move the decimal place two places to the right, then round up or down.

181.25 ≈ 181%

Fiddler's Green has a useful chart...

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/other/For-Designers/model-scales.htm
November 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDan H
That's so helpful! So, while I was waiting for a reply, I used some cheap 13" x 19" semigloss photo paper I had laying/lying? around and guessed at 145%, which is closer to 87/64 = 1.33, or 133%. Thanks SO much!

ranny
I meant to say closer to S scale...87/64.
Folks
Please take note of what Ranny said. He used 13" x 19" paper. Unless you have a large format printer or you are capable of moving the image on the paper, scaling up won't work for you. You WILL NOT loose resolution, but the image will spill off the edges of a standard 8-1/2" x 11" page.
November 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Agree with above. I have done it, and with Clever art the resolution is fine.
If your printer takes it, 100 lb. Strathmore Bristol 11" x 17" is available in pads
at arts and crafts stores like Michael's. Or you can buy poster size Bristol
board and cut any size your printer will take, like 13" x 19" etc.
November 15, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Thanks...off to Plaza Art later today.
November 16, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterranny
You can use Adobe Reader to print enlarged pages. In 'print', select 'Poster' and set 'tile scale' to 181%. This will print the page on four 8"x11" sheets. This may break some pieces across different sheets, but you should be able glue a backing piece to hold them butted up together. Not a perfect solution, but one that should work in many cases.

Donald
November 17, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
Donald
This is a really handy tip.
Unfortunately, I cannot find anyplace to select "poster" in my version of Reader.
Please let us know exactly which version you are using and where it in located in the "print" menu.
Thanks
November 17, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave,

I have Adobe Reader 10.1.11. When I open the print window, about halfway down is the heading 'Page Sizing & Handling', with 'Size', 'Poster', 'Multiple' and 'Booklet' buttons underneath. When I click on 'Poster' the 'tile scale' entry box appears. I have no idea what other versions have this feature. I just discovered this feature a couple weeks ago when I was trying to print out some architectural plans - 9 8-1/2 x 11 sheets for one of the plan sheets.
November 17, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury
Hello Donald and everyone.
Following up on Donald's previous comment, I downloaded Reader version 11.xxx whatever and all of the functions that he described were there and worked just fine. Typically I use 9.something which does not have Paper Sizing & Handling feature. A while ago when reader 10 came out I installed it and it darn near killed my computer. Don't know why, but I couldn't remove it and the only thing I could do was to revert to a previous save point on my computer. So I hesitated to install newer versions, but this works well.
Dave Miecznikowski
November 18, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave,

Glad you were able to access the newer version.

Donald
November 19, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterDonald Albury