Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Small Depot, just curious

In the small depot, why are the V roof beams necessary? When the roof is on you can't see them and if you have layered the roof, they are certainly not needed for support. I realize they stick out along the top of the building wall, but small pieces could be set in with a lot less work than putting in the entire V beams.
January 20, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterRon
OH! So you want me to give you LESS for your money. Really, Ron, a couple of possibilities come to mind. You want to detail the interior and have a removable roof? You want to model a burned out hulk and the beams are then visible? You want to use the roof on a completely different project?
Don't think so much inside the box. All of our kits are intended to be flexible in the extreme. Use or don't use the parts as you wish.
January 20, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Thanks Dave for a perfect explanation. I really like having the extra stuff included in all your kits. As you know, I've only been building models for a few month now and since they come, for the most part, without instructions I am still finding my was on how to construct them. It will be a good while yet before I will feel comfortable branching out and trying kit bashing but I look forward to the experience.
January 21, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterRon
The concept of "More than you Need" is foreign to most kit builders...sort of like when you put your washing machine back together & have some do-hickeys left over. I liked the old Roundhouse kits & it took me a while to realize that the same spru of parts was used for all models & you only used what was needed.
I think first time builders would like a little more instructions as well as the concept of extra parts. I think my first venture was the Small House kit. I realized that MANY variations could be built from that one purchase. Different siding, 1 or 2 dormers, porch or not,chimney placement etc. Not all parts had to be used, in fact it's better to leave off some to have a variety.
January 21, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
Dave, Are these already printed out or do I have to print them. If I print, can they be resized for N scale???? I like the detail of your models on paper, but I do need them smaller. Thanks, Bill
January 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterBill
Bill, They are not pre printed. this allowes you to make as much as you need for a project and also to print to any scale you wish.
January 22, 2015 | Registered CommenterDave
Bill,
If you contact me at <mize1@sbcglobal.net> or send me your email address, I can let you know what other purchase options you have.
January 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Dave the e-mail is mosquitojunction@yahoo.com This is the name of our 7 1/2 gauge ridable railroad. Thanks Bill
January 22, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterBill
When I built the small depot in N scale I left out the rafters as I thought them to be too small even to notice; however on the O scale build, I did include them. You might consider laminating them back-to-back with thin chipboard in-between to give a more accurate thickness in the larger scales. I did this for the rafters which are visible on the roof overhang end...turned out real nice.
February 15, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDave Rarig