Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > rustall

Hello everyone, I just wanted to tell you about this great product I discovered the other day. The manufacturer said it would work on paper as well as wood, plastic, and other mediums. I haven't bought it yet, but I am certainly going to! Maybe people could use it for weathering buildings, signs, etc. I noticed that Jerry Leed's version of the marine supply had some additional weathering that made it look even better than the great kit it already is. I think I will try some of this on some of your kits, and see the results. I will email you some photos when I do.

the site: http://www.rustall.com/HomePage.html

In response to joe n, I think that many of your kits, with a little extra enhancement, would just fine in those “epic layouts”.

Thanks for the great kits
Clark.
February 9, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterCSAhomodeler
Ive seen this and am very curious about results. let us know how it works. before and after picture would be great.
February 9, 2015 | Registered CommenterDave
I have been using Speed ball "Super pigmented Acrylic" Drawing ink. Burnt Umber. Comes in a 2oz bottle. just don't use too much on paper. Try it in an non conspicuous place. It will react differently depending if you sealed the paper & what kind of sealer you used.
February 9, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
OK Thom, and thanks, Jerry, I will try this.

Speaking of sealer, what do you use and were can I get it?
I have been using no sealer because it sounds like it makes the models shiny, which I REALLY hate.
However, some of the models on one of my module layouts have begun to look pretty battered, so I guess I should do it anyway.
Do you know of any that is not shiny?

Thanks,
Clark
February 9, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterCSAhomodeler
Krylon MATTE clear acrylic will not make models glossy. Apply in several light coats.
There are artist's materials that work, too, but cost more.
February 9, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
I second Krylon MATTE acrylic. I spray both sides before any cutting to keep it from curling. It does not affect glue holding power & prevents the edge coloring from bleeding thru to the front.
February 9, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterjerry
For Rust effects I have been using acrylic paints picked up from DeSerres (Canadian Art Supply store) in Transparent Yellow Oxide, Transparent Red Oxide, Transparent Brown Oxide and a Transparent Shading Grey. I find the paint does not bleed through the paper as much as ink. I can edge paint with no bleeding - kind of dry brushing the cut edges. The transparent colours allow the Clever Models textures to show through for corrugated roofing, and I can use a straight edge to differeniate between panels to accent different panels.
February 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterWeston R
I paint wooden models with acrylics, but I don't like the way my brush sticks and drags when I'm edging paper models. I have a really tough time getting acrylics watered down to the right viscosity, and then I go do something else and return to find it dried on the brush and palette. I prefer gouache, aka watercolors. I mix the colors I want, edge for a while, let the mixed paint dry, and then continue by just adding water. Much more convenient for me.

YMMV.
February 10, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDan H