Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > O scale model ratio

I have built a couple of the O scale model so far and they look too large for 1:48 O scale figures and vehicles. Are these drawn to 1:48 or 1:43 scale? If I look at the dimensions of the doors and windows, they look to be 1:43 or 7mm if scaled up to normal door and window sizes. I printed the oil shed out at 100% and at 89.5% ( the approx. difference between the 2 scales), and the smaller one has windows and doors that are very near common sizes.

Thanks,
Bob
April 12, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterBob Strom
Well Bob, I don't know what to tell you other than all of our buildings are 1:48. Most of our man doors scale to "about" 6'-8". Since I don't know what you consider "common" sizes, I can't speculate what the issue might be. If anything, we have been told that some of our buildings are too small. Of the thousands we have sold in the past 10 years, I have never heard of anyone suggesting that of models are 1:43. Normally, I would think that there is a printing problem, but again, that usually is because a model is too small.
What buildings are you referring too? I would like to check them out to see what you are having an issue with.
You can send any follow up directly to me if you wish at <mize1@sbcglobal.net>, or we can continue to discuss it hear, Either way is fine.
Thanks,
April 12, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Clever Kits are designed to be printed with a margin If you removed the margin and selected print to size this might explain the oversize So please check your printer settings I have been doing there kits for 5 years now and have never had a problem
April 13, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
I agree with Paul. In my experience, it has been printer settings that have caused my problems. Never use such things as "print in margins" or "print to size" or "print to fit". Instead, if you have the option, print using the "actual size" setting.

jim
April 13, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
I agree with Paul and Jim. I have done a number of these Clever Models and never had an oversize issue.
Be sure your printer is set at 100%. The windows and doors match real life average dimensions very well
scaling to 1/48. That said, the nice thing about this way of modeling is that you can adjust the scale to suit
yourself if you wish; not possible with big buck craftsman kits.
April 13, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce
Thanks for all the info. As Bob Bruce points out, I can scale these models to fit my particular needs and that's what I'll do as necessary. The printer settings were set correctly, in fact I went back a reprinted pages to be sure and tried each of my printers (4) to be sure I hadn't messed up. That doesn't mean I have overlooked something.

Dave, the building that started this is the oil shed and the flag stop station.

Thanks again for the help.
Bob
April 15, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterBob Strom
Bob,
Thanks for the additional info. I printed out the two buildings you mentioned and the door to the Oil Shed scales out to 7'-0 tall x 2'-9 wide in both HO and O and the door in the station is 6'-3 tall x 2'-7 wide in HO and 6'-9 tall x 2'-10 wide in O. While the door in the oil house might be considered a bit tall, it's still well within the O scale (1:48) realm. By my calculations 1 scale inch in 1:48 = .0208333". The Station door is exactly 1.75 real inches tall. 1.75/.0208333 = 84" or exactly 7'. 1 scale inch in 1:43 = .0232558". So by the same calculation 1.75/.0232558 = 75.25" or 6'-3-1/4". If it look too big to you, maybe you will have to print it smaller, but I'm sticking with my numbers. How tall are your people?
April 15, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski