Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Greezy's Gus

On Grezzy Gus' hamburgers it's not clear to me whether the plywood "door" on the back of the building is to be cut out or overlaid. It looks like a cutout and insert but the base image is not grayed out the way other windows and front door are. What's you advice?

Thanks
May 25, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterMichael Fox
Well Michael
I would look at the photos and see if I could determine how the material is being used in the real world. My opinion is that the door frame is flush with the brick or possibly slightly raised and the plywood is attached to the surface. BUT and this is ALWAYS what we say about these things. Build it the way YOU WANT it to look. Even if I were to give you explicit instructions, I would still want you to exercise your own creativity.
Good Luck.
May 25, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
I'm somewhat to blame because I tend to be inconsistent with showing doors and windows as grayed out to indicate that they are to be cut away. We were just talking about this the other day. On one side, we want people to use every opportunity to add dimension. On the other hand, there are people who just want background buildings and don't care about the cut outs and layering. Additionally there are a lot of people within N & Z scales, that don't want the layering. I'm tempted to not indicate the cutouts and hope that the fine scale people will understand our layering concepts.
May 26, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave
Speaking of Greezy Gus'. It's a fantastic kit ... one of the best made. I have pics of it somewhere [even on this website somewhere] but I thought I would mention something else that is interesting. My version doesn't have an interior but I decided to use the flat-top stove on another diner [not made of cardstock] with a full interior. When I printed out the O scale stove, it was a tight fit into the diner [made out of an old narrow gauge passenger car], which seemed odd to me. Then I noticed that the flat top comes up to the shoulder of my O scale cook figure. I printed it out, again, in S scale (about 75%) and now it is a little higher than waist high and fits much nicer. Ahh ... the joys of cardstock modeling when I can print parts again and in different sizes.
June 23, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore