Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > painted window panes

Why are the window panes in the industrial buildings all painted, as in the philly modular flats kit? Having just the frames printed would be nice to print on clear over head sheets.

Thanks
September 18, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDick G
Inkjet inks are very opaque and become almost transparent when printed on overhead stock or clear decal film unless only the darkest colors are used the inks become so transparent that you cant see them on a transparency this is back lit with a very strong light bringing out the colors You can measure the windows and replace them with castings or another very convincing way to treat paper windows is to print them on gloss photo paper the reflection of the photo paper looks like the reflection of glass and you dont have to do an interior
September 18, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterPaul Egri
I realize that but it's the color I don't ;like. I have done it with scalescenes kits I laser print the windows and they work out fine
Dick
September 18, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDick G
Do you print the black window frames from Scalescenes and use those? I find that unless back lit, they disappear on an unlit structure. If you use the printed paper window frames and glue them on transparency then you have to add some interior details. You could do the same thing on the Clever windows by cutting out the panes and mounting them on transparency. I've done that on O scale and some HO, but it is a pain to do in N scale, even with magnification.
September 19, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDave Rarig
My 2 cents. the best idea posted here INHO Is to print the windows on gloss paper. additionally tho mullions could be hand painted with dull coat.
I dont like the look of castings.
September 20, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave
Hi Thom, the only problem I had printing on glossy paper (I've done it on several builds) is be careful of the choice of ink. I used an HP printer initially (what I had) and over a period of 3 years the windows have faded to the point where they have to be replaced. The print on matte paper did not fade nearly as bad. I now use an Epson printer and have not had a fading problem.
September 20, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDave Rarig
Hi, guys! I model in Z, and while I agree with Mr. Rarigs pain comment, I cut out the panes. I use Microscale Kristal Klear for glazing prior to applying the final seal of dullcoat. With interior lighting, to me, it looks like dirty glass.I've done this with Clever buildings and several Dover buildings that I scaled down.
September 20, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterVern Sargent
Im impressed by you guys tenacity..
September 20, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave
Thanks for all the replies. but the issue is that I have never seen a building with that color windows. I even googled it and couldnt find pictures. I have built other kits Manila rope, mine shed, tool shed none of them have the blue panes
September 20, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDick G
Everything we do is sourced from reality. If you want to change the color, its easy to do. any graphic software will have Hue control and a way to mask images.
September 21, 2016 | Registered CommenterDave
Its always a good idea to go see the real world. you will observe that you will almost never be able to see through an industry wirdow. our kits are designed to reflect an art directed reality.
September 21, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterThom
Dick
Go to the blog to see the picture. Sorry it took so long to get back to you with this, but my original pictures seem to have vanished and I had to take new. Unfortunately, there has been construction in the area and I was not able to get very close and I didn't have an effective zoom lens with me. But you can see that these windows are, in fact blue.
October 1, 2016 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
this subject was broached a few years back, but in relation to the
steel buildings, large and small warehouses with windows, one
individual suggested colored cellophane, and canopy glue
February 11, 2017 | Unregistered Commentermel perry