Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > scribing individual bricks

Thom,

On another forum you posted the following:

"Paper can also be worked by scribing or even embossing a few bricks (you don't have to do more then 1 in 10 to get a great result) printing brick on watercolor paper gives the flat surface just enough variation to knock out that shine (it embosses well too)"

Where can we find more information regarding this process? Do you have any examples? Specifically what brand paper do you use?

Thanks!
June 7, 2017 | Unregistered Commentercnwnorthline
My suggestion is to jump in and try it. Water color paper has some "tooth" to it brand is unimportant. Dave Frary did some tests where he used it for board on board construction just print multiple copies of a wall then using one copy as a base, cut individual boards and layer them appropriately.. Its a bit of work but if you must have that extra dimension its worth the effort. I find that visually it doesn't add much but every serious paper modeler should try it.
The basic idea with bricks is that the image already simulates completely convincing dimension but by adding some random embossing it breaks up the flatness some people find disturbing. Once again, not a problem for most people but hay, give it a try. We'd love to see your results.
June 8, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave
You may want to try this paper. I purchased one sheet at a local Michael's store. It has a textured surface and accepts ink well and is almost as heavy as cardstock, a nice sturdy paper but rather expensive. http://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-mi-teintes-drawing-papers/
June 10, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Rarig
Canson is very good paper in general. Their watercolor paper is excellent, strathmore also makes watercolor paper as well as Windsor Newton and others
June 10, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave
A side note about adding texture. some years ago I saw a test where someone printed one of our bricks on decal paper. They applied this to a plastic brick sheet. Now our texture and the plastic texture were no where close to lining up. There was no registration of any kind. It still worked. as a mater of fact it looked shockingly good. It goes to show how far the mind and perception will stretch to make the world look correct given the right visual ques.
June 10, 2017 | Registered CommenterDave
The canson paper that Dave Rarig suggested is really nice. You can purchase many different colors in 25 sheet packs for $10.95. That's about 44¢ per sheet. I think it's a great deal. Try it, you'll like it. You can also get it in larger sheets and multi-color packs.
June 10, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Watercolor paper worked for stone work (random texture) but did not do much for me with bricks. Easiest is to take an ultra fine black or brown pen and add random shadows one brick long. It looks like actual texture if done sparingly. Note that it is not needed with the Clever OLD BRICK textures, which already have random shadows. If you must have tactile texture, cut out a few individual card stock bricks and glue them on randomly. Easier than embossing. and sharper edges. I don't find the effect worth the effort, but it would impress contest judges.
June 10, 2017 | Unregistered Commenterbob bruce