Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > Rolling stock for use on O gauge RR

I bought the rolling stock models from Clever Models. When I opened up a box car it’s real small. It appears to be on30? Can someone with some knowledge on now to adjust the size of the models to O Gauge provide some help. What’s the procedure on making them O Gauge size. What editor would I use.

Would I print out what I have. Copy them into the computer. Use an editor to correct the size?

Sorry - I’m kinda stuck on how to proceed here. Brent Harris has made one of these. However I’m stuck?

Jack
September 15, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Jack
It says on the website that these files ARE narrow gauge. They are not intended to be changed to standard gauge. Narrow gauge cars are not necessarily proportioned the same as standard gauge. I would be a labor intensive process to make the cars standard gauge. As I say in many places on the website, you cannot scale up because the artwork will spill off the edges of the page. It can be done, but it is a lot of work to do it correctly and you would need a program like Photoshop or other graphic editor. If you wish, I will refund your money.
September 15, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Hello again Jack
Since my first reply to your question, I did a little bit of fooling around and came up with a starting point for you.
If you can blow up the images on the kit pages to 131%, you will be close to a standard gauge can in width and height, Length on the other hand will be way short as these cars in On30, are only 20ish feet long. If you stretch the length the things like logos and angles of diagonal braces, etc. will be way off. But anyway, good luck. And my offer to give you back your money if you don't like the product, is still available.
September 15, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
I don’t need any refund. These are great. Going to be allot of fun. If I lead you to believe I was trying to do standard gauge I’m sorry. I’m an O gauge person. I started a box car used my calipers to measure a 6456 postwar 40 foot car and these will be good. The wide is perfect. If I want to make longer 40 foot cars that should not be a problem. My hopes are that I can make some early freight cars for 4-4-0 steamers. or maybe a 4-6-0 steamer.

Brent Harris is doing these cars now and doing very well with them. Check him out on youtube. He has a video up for his first attempt. Brent is a super modeler.

Jack
September 16, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Wow! Thank you very much, Jack!
I'm just finishing my first 4 On30 cars. The couplers came in the mail and I'm almost done fabricating them onto the last car... a gondola. I did the stock car, clever paper co. steel boxcar, the gondola and the caboose. I haven't got to try them on the track yet - so hopefully all goes well when I do.
I scaled the wooden boxcar up to O Scale using GIMP graphic image manipulation program (free software) by scaling it up 112.9%, which gave it the right width for some O gauge trucks I got from a donor car. It was a little tall and, like Dave said, I had to maneuver it around on the sheet to get it to print. I did it as an experiment and was very happy with the results. I'll be doing some more in the future and showing them on my YouTube channel, "Brent Harris O Gauge Model Trains"
Thanks again for the awesome compliment, Jack!! Thanks again to Dave and clever models for such an amazing product - I've built more than I can fit on my layout! Blessings!
September 17, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterBrent Harris
Brent
I went looking for a video of the rolling stock builds and couldn't find anything. Have you posted yet. You do such a great job on my kits, I can't wait to see the cars. Please let me know.
Thanks.
September 18, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterDave Miecznikowski
Howdy Brent & David. I just completed a 20 foot flat car. It’s my first so you could say it’s my learning curve for making the o gauge rolling stock. I made a mistake but worked around it. But building your own rolling stock cars out of paper stock it’s really not a mistake. It’s just different. The next flat car will be as intended on the print out. Got the car looking great (In my mind). I bought a 4-4-0 General on EBay to fit in with the 20 foot cars. This morning I printed out all the box cars. They are beautiful. Once I do all these I will scale them up some to 36 foot cars.

I wish I had found Clever Models years ago. I’d much rather make my own everything instead of having plastic. I have two Lionel postwar stations on my layout. When I tire of the rolling stock builds I’s like to replace my plastic stations with the Clever models like Brent has.

What great therapy.

Brent - when you do O gauge let me know what you use for couplers & Trucks. I just remove trucks from old junk MPC Lionel cars. I’d rather have sprung metal trucks. Like maybe K-Line map cars have?
September 19, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
David - https://youtu.be/4TNfukpn4Ko

Brent Harris video on rolling stock.
September 19, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
These rolling stock models are nothing fun great. They are coming out super nice. I have two flat cars completed. I’m going to put civil war cannons on the flat cars. I got a 4-4-0 Lionel General for an engine to pull them. I’m about 60% complete on my first 20 foot box car. The best therapy I have found yet. Having allot of fun with these. Even with a Hurricane coming our way. Ian.
September 25, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterJack Simpson
Hey David! Jack shared the link for the O Scale boxcar I did. I haven't done any more O scale cars yet. But I finished some On30 cars and did a video for them...
https://youtu.be/1rwch4pyLVU
I get a lot of compliments on the cardstock models, but the compliment from you, that's like 'Wow!' Thank you. Your model kits are amazing! I did a couple of cardstock, scale models of our church building (mostly using your textures) and they came out really good!! But it gave me another level of appreciation for your kits. A lot of YouTubers have commented that they've tried (and liked) paper models after watching my videos and I'm super happy to send you the business! Check out the video of my "Printed Lionel Layout" - you'll recognize your models everywhere you look.
https://youtu.be/1U1UAJX4hRw

Back to the On30 cars, the D&RGW stock car is my favorite (so far - I haven't done them all yet! Ha ha!). But the roof isn't right in the kit: it prints out too small. I fixed it in my kit, but wanted to let you know.
Jack, That On30 D&RGW stock car scales up nicely to the size of a 25' boxcar at 112.9%. For the O Scale boxcar, I also used donor trucks from a cheap, used MPC car from the hobby shop.

David, I get compliments from Jack, but HIS cardstock models are incredible! Did you see his TWO engine houses!!?? The lights and everything he does on his models look so good! I can't wait to see the video of these O Scale cars he's doing.
September 26, 2022 | Unregistered CommenterBrent Harris