Solution Graphics
This area does not yet contain any content.

Discussion > PurchasingĀ Disks

Hey Guys,

Well I've downloaded the Crossing Tower kit and I've started construction. All I can say is, for my first Clever Model Project for most of you I'm sure this will be an easy build, for me, I'm going to be learning alot on this small project.

On to the reason for this post, I was looking at the Disks for sale and trying to decide which disk would be best for me. My layout is designed as a Switching Layout approx. 30" by 72" but only 12" by 72" is trackage, the rest is streets and buildings. My design (self made) allows for two frieght buildings, and a Engine House ( 1 bay) in the trackage area. The rest is made up of two main streets where I figure I can place up to 15 buildings. Since this is to be a downtown district time-line 1958 - 1962, I am looking for projects that would fit in Middle America downtowns of that time.
My delima is that while each disk describes what projects are included with each disk, a small pic of the projects would be helpful as to help me decide which one is best for me, just an idea that might help increase sales. (Yes I am a Salesman)

btw, any ideas from you guys as to which disk to start off with for my layout?

Thanks in Advance,
Steven
November 16, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterSteven
Steven,

I don't know that I can recommend any certain disc for your needs. A lot depends upon locality (New England, mid-West, Far West, South?) and how old you imagine your town/city to be. Filled with lots of recent construction or not so much? Your description sounds like it would require mostly brick structures for your downtown area; however, a lot of industries were mixtures of wood, brick, and metal, depending upon how many additions were made through the years. The closer you get to the "outskirts" of town, the more wooden type buildings you would encounter and, of course, you might want to put in a single-family dwelling or two, even a row of company homes or "shotgun" houses, as they call them in the South [because you could shoot (with a shotgun) in a straight line from front door, down the center hallway, and right out the backdoor]. Maybe a little more information and some others might chime in with other ideas. Personally, I would recommend structures from many of the discs. Most of the structures do have pictures on the "models" tab on this website ... that should help a little.

Jim
November 18, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterJim Gore
Thanks Jim, I guess it helps if you look through the web site before you ask questions! LOL Looking at the Models page sure helped. Looking at some of the buildings sure hellps me see what would seem to fit into my layout. One area that I have to included in my layout is a whore-house that was actually allowed to operate in our city called the "May Room's" by our local police department. Some of their customers were not only some of the local cops but also a few judges. It operated from the 1920's until the early 1980's before the Madam that owned it finally died. My layout is also designed to be a night-time layout so I get the fun of lighting to.

Thanks again, and if you have more ideas please post them, afterall they say a railroad is never finished well ....... mine is only begun!
November 18, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterSteven